Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi !!!

I went to a retailer who showed me 3 different SD memory cards from Sandisk. All were 1 GB. The major difference lied on their "speed" so
the salesman said. One model was 2 (of speed), the other 9 (of speed) (the ultra II model), and the last one 15 (of speed) I think (the extreme model).

My question is what is that about speed that I didn´t really understood or may be the salesman didn´t explain me correctly. I intend to use the card with a Nikon D50 camera, which would be the best card for me ???

Thank you very much,

igmolinav.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will come 'round and clear up whatever confusion I might cause but...

I believe speed in terms of media determines how quickly data can be written onto it. That comes into play if you intend on doing rapid shots (like that shooting mode where a camera takes a whole slew of photos quickly at one press of the button) or if you intend on making movies and require more frames per second.

Otherwise, if you're just working with still images it shouldn't really make a huge difference.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There's a standard speed that these cards are compared to. I believe this value is 150 KB per second. So a really fast card, say 133x, is 133 times faster than 150 KB per second.

Sandisk Ultra II cards are fast, but Extreme cards are faster. Personally, it doesn't matter much in my case. However, it may matter to you. I went for the Ultra II.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Faster cards also transfer data faster to your computer if you have a good card reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.