Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hi!

Just ordered a new pro with the SD card reader. Problem is, I have a camera that uses Compact Flash memory. I've been thinking about buying a larger capacity card for a while, but with the new macbook I wondered how a SD to compact flash adapter/thing would work? Are there any downsides with regards to performance etc, or will it be negligible? Would love if someone could share their experience on this!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I didn't realize these adapters existed until you posted, but then as I never had a use for one I was never looking for one :).

1) 1st though was just get a USB reader which is more portable but not always as practical, though that depends on how many machines you would be using it on

2) from a brief look on amazon, buyer beware on some of the products, but that is a given.

3) make sure you get a reader that can use SDHC so you can use the latest SD cards

4) speed should not be an issue, though it looks like some of the readers out there could be from 2004 or so.

The only question I would have is, does the Camera > CF card > SD card process slow things down a bit or not? On a more consumer level camera it might not be noticable, on a prosumer dSLR which can write to the card quicker it may have potential to slow you down on occasion.

Do your research but otherwise it should be fine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There are UDMA CF ExpressCard and FW800 readers.

For photography, I would take the new screens and live with an external FW800 reader.

Dale Cooper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Thanks for you input! Seems like it could be a bit of a hassle, finding a decent and compatible one etc (those I've seen have been a few years old it seems). And I do like taking "burst" on my eos, wouldn't want to make a handicap with regards to that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.