Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aspenlouise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
My Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive stopped working. It was in storage for two years. I pulled out to work with an old iPhoto library. I left it plugged into my computer for a few days. Slowly it stopped working. It started taking longer and longer to do things. Then it started crashing my computer. Then after a restart from a crash it simply disappeared. The light is on. It sometimes making spinning noises and it sometimes just hums. It does not show up in DiskUtility. It does show up under System Information. It does not work on my other Macbook either. I have tried different cables and different ports. I am attaching a few files so you can see my computer info and where the HHD shows up. I understand the hard drive has failed. Is there anything that can be done to recover the data on it? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.20.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.20.59 PM.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.20.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.20.39 PM.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
I think you’ve correctly deduced that the drive is toast. Unfortunately the time to think about data recovery was when you first noticed a slow down. At this point your only option may be a professional data recovery lab which will be very, very expensive with no guarantee of success.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you connect the drive now, can you hear the platters "spin up" inside?
If they do, that's "a sign of some life".
If you hear nothing, almost certainly the drive has suffered a hardware failure.

The lesson here is:
Never trust important data to only ONE drive.
It should be stored in at least TWO places.
THREE is even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.