Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I had to repair my photo library recently because search started crashing in Photos under Sequoia. Repairing fixed this, but it also forced Photos to reindex all my photos.

That was a couple of days ago and it’s showing it’s still indexing despite me being able to search for nearly everything and have it work (including sounds in videos).

The only search not working is searching for landmarks. For example I have several photos of the Space Needles in Seattle, but searching that returns no results. Searching works on my iPad and iPhone. I can select the photo and look up info that way though some photos, like one of the Eiffel Tower don’t give the correct landmark info.

I see in the console logs that mediaanalysis is throwing tens of thousands of “Failed to load Scene Taxonomy for analysis version" errors for Photos, so I’m thinking something is broken.

Can the Mac Photo app search for landmarks?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
It seems to be working for me in Sequoia. I just searched "Eiffel Tower" and "Strat", and it found pictures I took of those in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Photos on my Mac claims it finished indexing, but I still can't search for landmarks. I can on my iPhone and iPad. I don't know if it worked prior to doing a repair.

I tried searching for info about searching for landmarks and there is nothing out there that says that works in iOS or MacOS. It mentions you can tap a photo and look it up that way and that is working on my Mac, but nothing about searching.

On a side note, I'm finding after indexing that my iPhone, iPad and Mac all find a different number of photos for people and pets and other items. Right now for example searching for my cat results in 20 more photos/videos on my Mac than my iPhone and my iPhone finds 2 more than my iPad.

I don't know why iCloud Photos can't share search info between devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.