Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
UK
I have a weird issue with my iPhone 6 128GB. Much of the time, it has the "stuck on searching for network" issue, and Carrier disappears from the settings menu. The issue is intermittent, but persistent - phone service will restart randomly. Carrier service seems to be consistent.

I have had the phone for about 18 months, bought second hand from Smartfone Warehouse (well known UK used phone reseller). I bought the phone unlocked. My carrier is EE.

It has worked perfectly until the last week.

I have done the usual fixes:
  • tried to get new carrier settings
  • wiped the network settings
  • wiping the whole phone and resetting it (more than once).
  • The only thing I have not done (yet) is to test the SIM in a different device.
I have also booked a repair at an Apple Store. A Genius performed diagnostics and no faults were found. I had thought the antenna might be loose or damaged, but that does not seem to be the case.

The only potential issue found was that the phone was originally from the Belgian operator Proximus. The Genius wondered if Proximus firmware might be causing a conflict with EE.

The Genius said that while he could replace the phone, it would have all the original settings, including the Proximus identifier - so the problem might still be there

Following the visit I contacted EE, who tried to help, but could offer no real assistance. They were unaware of any issues between EE carrier settings and firmware in Proximus phones.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and been able to resolve it? Any second hand iPhones whose firmware conflicted with a new carrier?

It does seem odd that the phone has developed the issue in just the last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.