Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicko4882

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I recently purchased an iPad mini form police auction of unclaimed merchandise. It was explained at this auction that a lot of times people reported things lost or stolen, file an insurance claim, and then when their item is recovered they refuse to claim it because the insurance company has already paid them for the lost or stolen merchandise. If they did claim it they would then have to reimburse the insurance company.

I have tried working with apple support to get my iPad unlocked because it is cloud locked. I have provided a copy of my receipt of purchase and was told since it is not a receipt from when it was purchased New that they can't do anything. I have followed the letter of the law in the state of Massachusetts to purchase my iPad legally. Is there anything else I can do? How do you feel about the situation?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If they advertised it as working you might be able to get your money back from the police or whatever company they had hold the auction for them. If it was sold as is then you're probably out of luck.

Nicko4882

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
If they advertised it as working you might be able to get your money back from the police or whatever company they had hold the auction for them. If it was sold as is then you're probably out of luck.

Returning it is not an option for me. I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's no policy on how to deal with this type of situation on apples end. from my research it seems it happens often enough that apple should start coming up with a solution for this type issue

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
Returning it is not an option for me. I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's no policy on how to deal with this type of situation on apples end. from my research it seems it happens often enough that apple should start coming up with a solution for this type issue

The proposition that Apple should make their devices LESS SECURE is a bit ridiculous. Your are upset that Apple won't (or "can't") override their security protocols to appease your decision to buy a device recovered by police. I guarantee that, had you asked this forum whether you should buy a device from the police, you would have been advised to save yourself the time and money you have now wasted.

I'd look at craigslist for someone who is willing to buy your device as "iCloud locked."

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Returning it is not an option for me. I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's no policy on how to deal with this type of situation on apples end.

It is really unfortunate if indeed you don't have the option to return the iPad. I'm assuming it's not an option because the auction description for this item was accompanied with the caveat "sold as-is" or "sold iCloud locked" or other words to the effect of "there's no guarantee it will work". If it wasn't accompanied by such, I'd definitely take it up with the police / auction house, to see how they feel about the fact that the device's locked state / status was not clearly advertised. They might refuse to reimburse you regardless, but it would still be worth trying since otherwise you're automatically and without recourse out of whatever amount you paid.

As for Apple not having a policy for dealing these types of situations - they do. Their policy is not to unlock iCloud locked devices unless original proof of purchase is provided. It's a great policy when you're the one whose device has been stolen, and a hindrance that can be avoided if you're buying a second hand device.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

If it were my stolen iPad I would wish it never came back to life again. I believe you would too.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It definitely should have been made clear that the iPad was locked, there is no way to unlock it, and that the buyer should consider it for parts only as is. Perhaps that was a disclaimer somewhere that all items were as is?

That being said, if my iPad was stolen, I was reimbursed for it, and then declined it when it was recovered I'd be willing to help the legitimate new owner unlock it. I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't give you that info though.

Regardless, sorry this happened OP.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

For Apple to verify claims from people claiming they legitimately purchased iCloud locked iPads would be a very complicated process. In your case, they'd need the police to provide them with some document showing how they came into possession of the iPad, showing how they attempted to contact the owner, how the owner refused to claim it, and then they'd need proof that the original owner had legal possession of the iPad to begin with. That's a lot of paperwork for just one iPad. Imagine it multiplied by thousands or even tens of thousands. There's no way Apple wants to deal with all that, and there's no obligation for them to take on such a task.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For Apple to verify claims from people claiming they legitimately purchased iCloud locked iPads would be a very complicated process. In your case, they'd need the police to provide them with some document showing how they came into possession of the iPad, showing how they attempted to contact the owner, how the owner refused to claim it, and then they'd need proof that the original owner had legal possession of the iPad to begin with. That's a lot of paperwork for just one iPad. Imagine it multiplied by thousands or even tens of thousands. There's no way Apple wants to deal with all that, and there's no obligation for them to take on such a task.
Honestly, the police department have better things to do with their time, too.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Obviously Apple never helped known thieves to unlock iPhones or iPads. But it has happened in the past that someone convinced Apple support that they were the legitimate owner of a device when they weren't, with all kinds of problems following. Especially if someone stole your iPad to uncover your secrets. And of course if an Apple employee _can_ unlock your iPhone or iPad, then some unscrupulous employee could do that being paid by thieves.

The conclusion: If Apple is absolutely, one hundred percent incapable of unlocking your device, then this drives down the value of stolen devices and therefore the number of thefts, and it prevents situations where people's secrets are uncovered. On average, this is of beneficial to Apple's customers. Sometimes it isn't.

Now something that you might not have realised or connected up with your experience... A few months ago some guy shot over a dozen people, the FBI found his work iPhone and asked Apple to unlock it, and Apple said they couldn't. And that was that. So obvously they won't unlock your device.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Never should have bought it as Apple will not unlock it. Had you asked, we would have told you that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
I wouldn't recommend buying Apple products unless the original owner explicitly wants you to own it for reasons like this, heh.

You might just be out of money on this one.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014

There is a policy at Apple, not to unlock the device unless you are the owner. How would you like it if you were the original owner that it was stolen from. Would you want Apple to unlock your device for a new owner that could then ruin your life with your information that you had taken precautions to protect?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's no policy on how to deal with this type of situation on apples end. from my research it seems it happens often enough that apple should start coming up with a solution for this type issue

It's not ridiculous. Just avoid this kind of situation by paying the full price for an Apple product from a reputable store next time.

You should have realized that buying something from an auction is always going to be risky - you just happened to draw the short straw.

Nicko4882

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
There is a policy at Apple, not to unlock the device unless you are the owner. How would you like it if you were the original owner that it was stolen from. Would you want Apple to unlock your device for a new owner that could then ruin your life with your information that you had taken precautions to protect?

My only question is since I'm verifying the serial number with this shouldn't apple be able to contact the owner through the cloud account and at least give the original owner an opportunity if they decides to communicate via email with me to get it unlocked. All the owner officially has to do is remove The device from their cloud account. As for the owners precious information being seen by secondary buyer that's complete a nonexistent situation, in order to gain access to the cloud device you have to reformat the device to as new condition as part of the unlock process
[doublepost=1472476366][/doublepost]
Obviously Apple never helped known thieves to unlock iPhones or iPads. But it has happened in the past that someone convinced Apple support that they were the legitimate owner of a device when they weren't, with all kinds of problems following. Especially if someone stole your iPad to uncover your secrets. And of course if an Apple employee _can_ unlock your iPhone or iPad, then some unscrupulous employee could do that being paid by thieves.

The conclusion: If Apple is absolutely, one hundred percent incapable of unlocking your device, then this drives down the value of stolen devices and therefore the number of thefts, and it prevents situations where people's secrets are uncovered. On average, this is of beneficial to Apple's customers. Sometimes it isn't.

Now something that you might not have realised or connected up with your experience... A few months ago some guy shot over a dozen people, the FBI found his work iPhone and asked Apple to unlock it, and Apple said they couldn't. And that was that. So obvously they won't unlock your device.

In reference to the FBI case the FBI was looking to gain access to the persons cloud account I'm not looking to gain access to their cloud account I'm looking for the device to be untethered from the cloud account which requires a reformat of the device which would delete any information that the previous user had placed on it therefore would make it a factory fresh device no compromise of any information

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
My only question is since I'm verifying the serial number with this shouldn't apple be able to contact the owner through the cloud account and at least give the original owner an opportunity if they decides to communicate via email with me to get it unlocked. All the owner officially has to do is remove The device from their cloud account. As for the owners precious information being seen by secondary buyer that's complete a nonexistent situation, in order to gain access to the cloud device you have to reformat the device to as new condition as part of the unlock process

In reference to the FBI case the FBI was looking to gain access to the persons cloud account I'm not looking to gain access to their cloud account I'm looking for the device to be untethered from the cloud account which requires a reformat of the device which would delete any information that the previous user had placed on it therefore would make it a factory fresh device no compromise of any information

Bottom line is that you screwed up, and should have done more research before buying the police recovery iPad. Lesson learned. As recommended above, sell for parts and recover as much as possible. Then, go buy yourself a refurb or watch for a sale at BestBuy, Target, etc.

Reactions: masotime

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

And suppose Apple or the police were able to get in touch with the original owner, why should the previous owner accommodate you? Sure, it might take five minutes of their time, but it's still their time, and they have no obligation to spend it helping you, a total stranger. And Apple also has no obligation to spend time and resources helping you get in touch with the original owner. You brought the device from the police/auction house, you have no contractual or financial relationship with Apple. The only party who might have an obligation to help you is the police/auction house, but if they sold it with the caveat that the device is being sold "as is," with no guarantee that it'll work, well, no dice. As other posters have said, in the future, stay away from buying devices being sold "as is."

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Iirc, law enforcement wasn't trying to get to the iCloud account. I believe they can issue a subpoena for that. What they wanted Apple to do was override the encryption on the device itself so they can retrieve local information or provide a tool to override encryption and that's what Apple was refusing to do.

Granted, this isn't the same scenario. Iirc, Apple policy is they wouldn't even contact owners for lost and found iPhones. If you can't find the owner on your own, you'd just have to bring the device to the police. Given you seem to have acquired one of those devices, I really don't see Apple helping with your case.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

You've spun a scenario that's tailor-made to a very unlikely circumstance, and you wonder why Apple's system doesn't meet your needs. (The vast majority of lost/stolen iPhones and iPads are not sold at police auctions.)

It seems so simple to you; Apple sends out an email:

"Someone is in possession of an iPad that is locked to your iCloud account. If you don't mind them using it, here's how to unlock it for them." (Apple wouldn't facilitate communication between you and the original owner, there are far too many privacy, legal, and safety risks.)

Is that all Apple's email would say? It seems likely it might also say, "If you have reported this item to the police as lost/stolen property, you may want to contact those authorities to tell them that Apple has information that may lead to the recovery of your property." The authorities can then contact Apple, as described here: http://www.apple.com/privacy/government-information-requests/

Do you seriously think that most people who have a lost/stolen iPhone or iPad have both collected an insurance settlement AND would generously turn off Find My iPhone for you? How many might be vengeful? How many might call the police and say, "Apple knows who has my iPad?" (Since it's likely they had to file a police report in order to make an insurance claim, their insurance company probably also requires that they report this information to the police.)

Maybe the police show up at your door. "Here's my receipt, I bought it legally at a police auction." "Well, we now know who the rightful owner is. Under the terms of the auction, you have to give it back."

It's the reverse of the old saying, "Finders keepers, losers weepers." The person who lost the thing does not have to be considerate of the person who found it. The person who found it has no expectation that they'll be able to use it. What is true is, "Caveat emptor." Let the buyer beware, even when buying from the police.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.