Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hi all,
Yesterday I removed the DVD drive from my 2010 MacBook Pro, and replaced it with a 40GB intel 320 SSD using a generic "optibay" enclosure. I am using this drive as my startup volume while keeping the stock HD in the hard drive bay for media, easy backups, and my windows 7 vm. To conserve battery and reduce noise I wanted have the hard drive spin down when it wasn't in use, so I set the hard dive sleep timer to 1 minute and created apps to mount and eject the hard drive. Between the sleep timer and eject command, the hard drive stays "off" during normal use however when i put the laptop to sleep and then open the screen, the hard drive spins indefinitely until i execute the eject command. Is there some way to prevent the unmounted hard drive from spinning up when waking from sleep?

Last edited:

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2011
It turns out that I was able to achieve the desired result by forgoing the unmounting procedure and simply allowing the 1 minute sleep timer to do its job.

zalo05

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Same Issue

Were you ever able to fix this issue without just using the timer? Mine's doing the exact same thing. I eject the secondary and then it starts spinning on wake. My only option that I'm aware of is to just restart. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.