Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eaprice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys,

So I'm buying a new car and would like to mount an iPad Mini 4 Wifi+Cellular inside with a stand that comes up from the centre console, sort of like the attached photo to give you an idea of what I'm thinking.

My concern though is locking/securing the device in the car so that it does not get stolen. My original thought when first looking to buy a car was to rip out the dashboard stereo system and replace it with a custom built-in iPad Mini that would control the car's radio, bluetooth, etc. But the car I've purchased has a very nice set up, and ripping it out would be a terrible idea.

Do you guys have any ideas on how I can secure the iPad in here while keeping it relatively minimalist? I want to be able to show people "here's my iPad mounted in my car," not "here's my great big metal chain tying down an iPad."

What I need: a stand that is similar style to what is shown in the picture, as well as a way to secure it in place so that it is not [easily] stolen. Bonus points if your solution includes an idea for how to give constant power to the device in a minimalist fashion.

Links to items that can be purchased (Amazon, eBay, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• ipadcarmount.JPG
    ipadcarmount.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 6,971

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yeah I own a proclip mount, works very well - I mainly use my iPad mini 2 as a GPS device, a cellular model paired with T-mobile's free 200MB plan every month.

Reactions: cerberusss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.