Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PulsarJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
After the 2021-007 security update on my Macbook Pro 2012 (16 GB 1TB SSD) which is running Catalina 10.15.7, multiple applications refused to start. RStudio, Google Earth Pro, and Stellarium were what I found before giving up and rolling back the update from my Time Machine backup (which fixed everything). The internet is just picking up on this and the application Plex is also affected. No doubt many others as well. I noticed Qt in all the tracebacks and wonder if this may be the common factor.

I hope a solution is forthcoming soon, because I'm unable to update this machine above Catalina.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Same issues here on a 2012 MacBook Pro. Many apps crash back to desktop that ran prior to this update. Pretty dismal to be honest. I delayed installing this for a few days... should have skipped it.

LostEmail

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I observed the same thing on my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini. I was able to install an update to Cisco AnyConnect VPN client that doesn't crash like the version I had been running, but XLD doesn't open and my BlueSound internet speaker controller seems to hang. Off I go to explore their forums, I suppose!

bladerunner5

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
I can confirm that Google Earth Pro crashes on opening on my 2012 mini.
Yes, I have 3 late 2012 Mini's with 10.15.7 (19H1519) - and all are crashing in Firefox and Safari everytime when trying to use street view in Google Maps online. Sounds like it is a specific Apple problem with 10.15.7 and Intel 4000 video cards from what I can make out from https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/index/3f92bc5f-b983-4676-95c4-5ccac0211109#tab-bugzilla reports that skyrocketed since the Mac OS update. I do hope Apple can fix this.

LostEmail

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I can reproduce BR5's crash in Street View on my 2012 MBP. The maps at ut.no/kart is another that I noticed the other day that crashes both Firefox and Safari, but I didn't make the connection between the update and unstable browser behaviour. Wandering the internet, I, too, have heard voices that the problem is related to a new Intel 4000 video driver. Thanks, Apple!

crabbyoldguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Similar problems on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Safari fails to load my bank's website and Firefox just plain crashes. A few other websites are similarly affected. Doing a Safe Boot is a workaround for both browsers; running Firefox in Troubleshooting mode after a normal boot also works. I've reverted to the pre-2021-007 Security Update version of Catalina until Apple fixes the problem.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
After the 2021-007 security update on my Macbook Pro 2012 (16 GB 1TB SSD) which is running Catalina 10.15.7, multiple applications refused to start. RStudio, Google Earth Pro, and Stellarium were what I found before giving up and rolling back the update from my Time Machine backup (which fixed everything). The internet is just picking up on this and the application Plex is also affected. No doubt many others as well. I noticed Qt in all the tracebacks and wonder if this may be the common factor.

I hope a solution is forthcoming soon, because I'm unable to update this machine above Catalina.
A little late to the party but, I installed Catalina fresh on my Mid 2012 MBP and Divinity Enhanced Edition ran fine. The blasted security update broke the game and Cisco for me. I'm going back to Mojave.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Problem with Sec 7 update and MAMP Pro crashing as well. Can someone explain the process to me of going back to Sec 6 update? Do I Command + R to go into Recovery Mode and just reinstall Catalina and then manually download Sec 6 update and install or does Recovery Mode just reinstall Catalina with the Sec 7 update included. Please advise. Thanks.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I upgraded on my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) when the update first came out and the computer wouldn't boot from the external SSD drive. Had to revert to get the eternal to boot up.

LostEmail

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
A little late to the party but, I installed Catalina fresh on my Mid 2012 MBP and Divinity Enhanced Edition ran fine. The blasted security update broke the game and Cisco for me. I'm going back to Mojave.
You may have already resolved this, Armen, and I don't know which Cisco product you're using, but I initially observed that Cisco's VPN client (AnyConnect something something) was crashy after this update. However, I was able to download a newer version that is perfectly stable. Just in case you're still wrestling with Catalina and it is indeed the VPN client that is a problem.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Format the drive, reinstall 10.15.7, apply update #6. Not rocket science.
You don't have to reformat the drive if your drive is formatted in APFS; you just use the internet to replace the system and time machine to restore the programs.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Where can I re-download 10.15? I don't understand, doesn't any current version of Catalina just come with all of the current security updates already installed with it?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Where can I re-download 10.15? I don't understand, doesn't any current version of Catalina just come with all of the current security updates already installed with it?
From the MAS.

And no, Apple has not spun any new installers for Catalina post 10.15.7, so you have to install that, then the -007 Security Update to be current.

They *did* just put out a spin for Big Sur 11.6.1, which was interesting, didn't expect that.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
From the MAS.

And no, Apple has not spun any new installers for Catalina post 10.15.7, so you have to install that, then the -007 Security Update to be current.

They *did* just put out a spin for Big Sur 11.6.1, which was interesting, didn't expect that.
Can anyone else confirm this before I DL an 8gb installer?

bladerunner5

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
I found a fix in a google forum for the Google Maps street view crashing issue at least for Safari after the latest 10.15.7 (19H1519) update - so far it is working for me on a 2012 Mac Mini. This may help those having browser crashing issues such as with maps.google.com, weather.com and other sites.

Turn on Develop in Safari Menu bar, go to Safari >> Preferences >> Advanced >> and tick "Show Develop menu in menu bar" down the bottom.

In the Safari Menu Bar, go to Develop >> Experimental Features >> then check both WebGL 2.0 and WebGL via Metal.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
The rollback to Sec 6 works great if you can manage. Hoping this gets sorted in a future update but not holding my breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.