Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RGPphotog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Orlando FL
WARNING – The latest security updates for both 10.14 & 10.15 may disable the inner-most usb-c/thunderbolt port on iMac Pros. I have two Macs with the same issue. One on each OS. The 2nd mac was working fine until the update was installed, then the port was disabled; pointing directly to the security updates as the culprit. A T5 SSD connected to this specific port shows no power light. The same result appears on both affected Macs.

This is the port next to the ethernet port on the iMac Pro. Radar has been filed : FB7639274

Oculus Mentis

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
UK
I'm using an Apple 30" Cinema Display and I've lost the video on all TB3 ports on my 2018 mac mini after installing Mojave 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-002.
SMC reset hasn't fixed the issue. Right now my mini is as good as a door stop...

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
The SMC reset fixed my issue with the USB-C port, but now my Mini keeps crashing every 30 mins with the BridgeOS error :(

I never had this error before since I bought it, and considered myself lucky hearing about people complain about this BridgeOS issue... and there we go. Ugh.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
2018 mini after update: No video out on TB3, hdmi works fine, no TB3 drives, usb-c ok. SMC brought back drives but not video, task bar gone, desktop (iCloud) gone. Ran SMC again, no improvement.

Cloned SuperDuper backup to internal (had changed Secure Boot to Medium when I initially configured mini - this is one example of why you should do this). Back in business.

NOTE: If you have a 2018 mini, take a pass on this update. Yes, you would be correct in wondering how this update got released. I’m sure it had something to do with poor management, timetables and no one caring about anything other than their bonuses.

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
Just wondering... Can SuperDuper clone an internal APFS-formatted SSD drive to an external HFS+ spinner drive?

I only have some 128GB SSD's to spare that are smaller than the Mini's internal 256GB drive, so I can't clone the drive to those (using Disk Utility). Spinner drives can only be formatted in HFS+, so that won't work either with Disk Utility.

Universe Media

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
2018 mini after update: No video out on TB3, hdmi works fine, no TB3 drives, usb-c ok. SMC brought back drives but not video, task bar gone, desktop (iCloud) gone. Ran SMC again, no improvement.

Cloned SuperDuper backup to internal (had changed Secure Boot to Medium when I initially configured mini - this is one example of why you should do this). Back in business.

NOTE: If you have a 2018 mini, take a pass on this update. Yes, you would be correct in wondering how this update got released. I’m sure it had something to do with poor management, timetables and no one caring about anything other than their bonuses.
CRAP!!!!! Too late.... I ran the update and lost that port on my 2018 Mac Mini!!!!!
[automerge]1585230846[/automerge]
WARNING – The latest security updates for both 10.14 & 10.15 may disable the inner-most usb-c/thunderbolt port on iMac Pros. I have two Macs with the same issue. One on each OS. The 2nd mac was working fine until the update was installed, then the port was disabled; pointing directly to the security updates as the culprit. A T5 SSD connected to this specific port shows no power light. The same result appears on both affected Macs.

This is the port next to the ethernet port on the iMac Pro. Radar has been filed : FB7639274
CRAP!!!!! Too late.... I ran the update and lost that port on my 2018 Mac Mini!!!!!

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Just wondering... Can SuperDuper clone an internal APFS-formatted SSD drive to an external HFS+ spinner drive?

I only have some 128GB SSD's to spare that are smaller than the Mini's internal 256GB drive, so I can't clone the drive to those (using Disk Utility). Spinner drives can only be formatted in HFS+, so that won't work either with Disk Utility.
I don't believe your statement regarding spinners and AFPS is correct. My OSX backup drive is a spinner, GUID, AFPS. I can boot off it (https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/15/how-to-make-new-t2-secured-macs-boot-from-external-drives). I can restore from it.

Reactions: Tygernoot

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
Ah! I remember reading at the time they released APFS that they had pulled support for HDD's and only supported SSD's. Maybe this has since changed or was only pulled in a beta... Was under the impression all this time you couldn't format HDD's to APFS.

Righto, thanks for that :)

I have TM backups, but after this annoying screwed up security update I'd better get started on cloning my drives as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Just wondering... Can SuperDuper clone an internal APFS-formatted SSD drive to an external HFS+ spinner drive?"

Yes, but there's a proviso:
This doesn't work with Catalina.

I believe it DOES work with Mojave and earlier.

BTW, you DO NOT WANT platter-based drives to use APFS (unless they are intended to be Mac OS boot drives).
I've read reports that using APFS on platter-based drives results in all kinds of fragmentation that can seriously slow down the drive's performance (which of course is already slow because the drive has spinning platters).

Reactions: Tygernoot

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
Crap! It also disables inner left side USB-C port for SDD drives on 2018 MBP 15". But interestingly, the power supply works.

So I just switched power from the outer (one that is further away from you) left side (as you are facing the computer) to inner left side and switched external SSD from inner left side to outer left side.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Nice of you to offer someone else to be guinea pig........ ?
Don’t be too hasty installing these updates, wait a couple of weeks and many people (who can’t wait) will have answers.
There are classic MacPro users who also have problems with this update.

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
FYI.
The right side is fine for 2018 MBP 15".
It's just the left side that is broken after the update.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Note for 2018 mini users: I am using Superduper! to run daily clones. Today I noticed for the past 2 days Superduper was not able to locate my internal SSD. As such, no clone was performed. I deleted the schedule and set up an identical new one. No problem in test as well as this morning.

No idea why. But those using Superduper and had this update issue should make sure their backups are running.

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
Ever since this security update my Mac constantly crashes. I have now taken the plunge and upgraded to Catalina. Let’s see if that resolves it.

I wonder what they did in this update to cause so many issues...

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
I wonder what they did in this update to cause so many issues...
Probably for everyone to upgrade to Catalina, who knows?
Reading all these bad reports I'm running Catalina and afraid to update these security updates. Please let us know if updating resolves the problems.

RGPphotog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Orlando FL
The problem exists on Catalina as well. I have iMac Pros on both OS's. That's how I caught the issue; 2 Macs with the exact same issue was too much of a coincidence. ( one on 10.14 and the other on 10.15 )

SMC reset fixed my issues on both iMac Pros.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
More bad news:
mini now having BridgeOS crashes. Never happened before.

Seriously folks, take a pass on this update until Apple Marketing (in the absense of any other department getting funding) can get its act together.

Note for 2018 mini users: I am using Superduper! to run daily clones. Today I noticed for the past 2 days Superduper was not able to locate my internal SSD. As such, no clone was performed. I deleted the schedule and set up an identical new one. No problem in test as well as this morning.

No idea why. But those using Superduper and had this update issue should make sure their backups are running.

applelex

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
More bad news:
mini now having BridgeOS crashes. Never happened before.

Seriously folks, take a pass on this update until Apple Marketing (in the absense of any other department getting funding) can get its act together.
I’m having BridgeOS crashes too after I applied the March 2020 to security update on my mini.

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
After upgrading to Catalina I haven't had any crashes (so far). Apple managed to trick me into upgrading I guess...

And yet...
- My iPhone no longer syncs photos with my Mini ("The iPhone “...” could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish."). I had this once before and managed to use a trick to fix it. Of course that trick no longer works, so f... knows how I am going to have to solve that now. Apple's way of saying "buy a new iPhone"?
- Yesterday my Shield wouldn't play anything from my Mac anymore. Apple's way of saying "buy an AppleTV instead?".
- I cannot edit folders on my NAS anymore. Finder hangs and after 3 mins the NAS is unmounted. Apple's way of saying "Get more expensive iCloud storage?"

Sigh... I know I'm exaggerating a bit, just getting tired of stuff not working :rolleyes:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan

Don't know about SuperDuper, but I have Carbon Copy Cloner (running Mojave) and I know it works. CCC can clone a drive either way, from or to an APFS drive with the other drive being an external HFS+ spinner drive (internal HFS+ also works).

shadowfax--

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
HK
crap too late to found this... my mini 2018 keep crashing from time to time on bridgeos after the update, and lost the USB-C port close to HDMI (SMC reset fixed this)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.