Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Hi folks, I know the D90 is not the biggest news these days (the D3x has stolen the thunder) but it is still a camera people are interested in. I just wanted to let you know I posted a video shot entirely using the D90 and a Sigma 18-50mm lens on location during my Valentine's Photoshoot.

When I first heard the D90 had video capabilities I thought it was just a cheap gimmick, but when you marry it to a good lens the video options/creativity soon becomes apparent.

It's just a bit of fun and not meant to be "pro", it's just me sharing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnuM8q_XvPw

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks for that, some nice scenes and good to see a sunny model in the UK snow!
However this does show up some real deficiencies with the D90 video. If you want a quality look you have to keep the camera dead still. Any panning and the rolling-shutter "jelly" artefacts really show and ruin it IMO. Obviously you've also got to be pretty hot at pulling (manual) focus too.
I expect the rumoured D400 to have a better video implementation to rival the 5D MkII.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
When I test shot a D90 it was quickly apparent that you had to be spot-on with pulling to get quality clips. It certainly was fun doing video through some nice glass in front.
I'm waiting around to see what's next from Nikon before I buy a new body. The 700X (presumably) will probably not have video as it's more of a consumer feature than pro. I certainly would dig it though. ;)

Apr 10, 2007
for some reason I still cannot get my D90 videos to show up as high def on youtube :confused:

I see others with high def videos on youtube that was taken with a D90, but mine only show up as high quality....

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Looks good, but the rolling shutter effect is extremely apparent in all the shots. I have a 5D Mark II, and even if you have your shots handheld, it's not anywhere as bad as the D90. Image stabilization helps to minimize a lot though...

Just sucks that Nikon provided a weak implementation for video. Of course these cameras are MADE to take pictures, not video. They provided it for people who want to get short videos "just in case", especially for wedding photographers.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Looks good, but the rolling shutter effect is extremely apparent in all the shots. I have a 5D Mark II, and even if you have your shots handheld, it's not anywhere as bad as the D90. Image stabilization helps to minimize a lot though...

Just sucks that Nikon provided a weak implementation for video. Of course these cameras are MADE to take pictures, not video. They provided it for people who want to get short videos "just in case", especially for wedding photographers.

are you sure it's the Image stabilization the one helping? Nikon has VR lenses and the videos are the same, it's just the processing, IMO..

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
are you sure it's the Image stabilization the one helping? Nikon has VR lenses and the videos are the same, it's just the processing, IMO..

No, it has to do with Nikon's understanding of CMOS technology, and the problems you have to overcome in order to use CMOS sensors for video, which Nikon didn't bother with.

Canon on the other hand has years of CMOS development under their belt, and years of making CMOS camcorders, hence why the rolling shutter artifacts aren't nearly as visible on the 5D's video, even though it has a larger sensor and scans more lines, meaning if anything it should be more visible.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
very nice! all the more reason to get a nikon d90. and your cinematography skills are nuts! will put together editing and clips i love it!

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
No, it has to do with Nikon's understanding of CMOS technology, and the problems you have to overcome in order to use CMOS sensors for video, which Nikon didn't bother with.

Canon on the other hand has years of CMOS development under their belt, and years of making CMOS camcorders, hence why the rolling shutter artifacts aren't nearly as visible on the 5D's video, even though it has a larger sensor and scans more lines, meaning if anything it should be more visible.

Funny, I just read a quote from a respected photographer: Canon does it first, Nikon does it right. In this case I agree it's the inverse, but they do leapfrog each other all the time.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Are you talking to me Thomahawk?

taxi-driver-you-talkin-to-me-5000052.jpg

:eek: Er, Renderz, everything's cool, easy now....

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.