Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
what would be the best way to deal with a speck. when i remove the lens i can see where the specks are. don't really know the technical term but the speck doesn't show up in pictures. it's above the mirror. how can i remove this without causing damage to anything?

bloogersnigen

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
Wherever the water flows
If it not on the sensor, it is only visible to you while you are framing the picture and therefore not harmful to the actual picture. If it bugs you enough, you can probably just get it off with a dry clean (obviously) quetip or one of those squeezy blower things (thats the technical name by the way). Just don't rub too hard or push the dust into a place that could get on the sensor.

If you are really worried and have some extra cash, any camera store will do it for you, but there is no need to have this professionally done.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
you think holding the camera facing down and using a lens brush to gently wipe it off would work....holding it so the speck falls away from the sensor?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
It sounds like there's dust on the focusing screen (not the sensor). As you've already noticed, the dust won't appear on photos.

As others have suggested, just get a little lens blower and give it a puff or two. The focusing screen is the whitish plastic bit above the mirror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.