Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plchaves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Hi community:

Oh Oracle of wisdom, you who really know the stuff, here I come looking for some enlightenment...

I am seriously considering the option of investing in a new 16" inch MacBook Pro to be used in a professional project so I would thank some advice on the specs I should look up for.

Briefly, the project would involve livestreaming lectures through OBS or Ecamm live (I still need to decide). It would imply running at the same time 4 or 5 Chrome browser tabs with 360º virtual reconstructions as well as switching between a couple of cameras (webcam and Canon DSLR), plus adding background music, some videoclips, sets of images and the customary lowerthirds, tickets, comments feed etc.

Beyond that, there is the possibility of having to edit and stitch 8k 360º raw pics and/or footage, though it isn’t 100% sure.

That said, I’m wondering whether the baseline MBPro 16” model (i7 2,6 GHz, 16Gb DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB, 512 Gb SSD) would be enough or I should go for the next step (i9, 16 Gb RAM, Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB, 1 Tb SSD) for about 700€ more or even add some extra RAM up to 32 Gb for even 450€ extra too.

I mean, as a freelancer with a limited budget and no previous experience into streaming in this manner, it is quite a investment to me, so I would not like to make the mistake of purchasing something which does not perform sufficiently well or, on the contrary, spending the money in something I will never really use. Besides, I do need something portable and Mac OS.

I would really appreciate any comments or guidance based on your practical experience on these realms.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.