Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wai.eddygoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Is anyone experiencing a similar problem?

After a recent OS update, my system font changed to this unknown font (which I did not install), and this resulted in some unreadable characters on the system displays(such as the pop-up notifications and iCal icon display).

Actions attempted:
- I tried to 'Restore Standard Fonts' under Font Book>File, but it does not resolve it.
- I located the current system font, and tried to delete it, but encountered the following error message.
Still couldn't figure out after an hour of experimenting. Would appreciate some input/directions please!

Wai

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 2.28.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 2.28.03 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 224

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Have you tried in Font Book's left hand pane select All Fonts, then in middle pane (list of fonts) click any one then Cmd-A (select all) then File->Validate Fonts.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Try a safe boot to clear font caches. Press and hold shift at boot until the white Apple appears.

The font you are trying to delete is a Japanese system font called Hiragino Kaku Gothic and it is listed in Font Book in English.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.