Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I am a volunteer and officer on a history project for my community.

A historic fabrication project occurred over 50 years ago at an industrial shop in my hometown. It was precision work, and was nationally recognized. A 30-minute movie was made about the project. We have it on a DVD.

A monument to the highly skilled workers and the plant they worked in now stands in front of our local tourism office. Visiting travelers seeking information can stop in and see the monument and learn what happened here. There will be informative signs and literature available.

We are consulting with a national office to secure permission to play the 30-minute DVD movie. But there's a wrinkle and I'm wondering if there's a way to use technology to address it.

Our project committee, working with the tourism office, is operating on a grant and we only have a couple of months to finish the project. The monument was by far the biggest part of the project. Now we want to set up a kiosk station inside the tourism office. We want visitors to be able to watch a presentation on a ready-rigged HDTV, with a choice to watch either the 30-minute movie or a condensed 3-minute version.

I've heard suggestions of trying to get a TV with a thumb drive port and simply putting the movies on the thumb drive. I have no idea how that would play or how visitors could select between the two shows.

Can anyone suggest a way to set up a ready kiosk so we can offer these presentations to the public? We do not have unlimited funds, but we do have over a thousand dollars available for this sub-project, plus signage for outdoors and along the highway.

f43

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2018
Dear Wingsley,

In my opinion the easiest way to achieve what you want is with a Brightsign player. You will need someone remotely tech savvy to set it up and program it but it should be easy enough. The digital signage players I'm
talking about have a special interface called GPIO to which you can connect buttons and tell them what to do. In your case, you would load up the 2 films on an SD card, get two physical electronic buttons, connect them to the player and then easily program them with the Brightsign software to play the short and the long version when pushing the buttons.

You can see this in action here:

All this should take about one day to put together and it will run reliably forever (or as long as the power stays on). it should be all well within your budget.

Good luck!

I am a volunteer and officer on a history project for my community.

A historic fabrication project occurred over 50 years ago at an industrial shop in my hometown. It was precision work, and was nationally recognized. A 30-minute movie was made about the project. We have it on a DVD.

A monument to the highly skilled workers and the plant they worked in now stands in front of our local tourism office. Visiting travelers seeking information can stop in and see the monument and learn what happened here. There will be informative signs and literature available.

We are consulting with a national office to secure permission to play the 30-minute DVD movie. But there's a wrinkle and I'm wondering if there's a way to use technology to address it.

Our project committee, working with the tourism office, is operating on a grant and we only have a couple of months to finish the project. The monument was by far the biggest part of the project. Now we want to set up a kiosk station inside the tourism office. We want visitors to be able to watch a presentation on a ready-rigged HDTV, with a choice to watch either the 30-minute movie or a condensed 3-minute version.

I've heard suggestions of trying to get a TV with a thumb drive port and simply putting the movies on the thumb drive. I have no idea how that would play or how visitors could select between the two shows.

Can anyone suggest a way to set up a ready kiosk so we can offer these presentations to the public? We do not have unlimited funds, but we do have over a thousand dollars available for this sub-project, plus signage for outdoors and along the highway.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Brightsign is an excellent choice, especially with your time constraints.

Another option is a raspberry pi running the video from thumb drive. Hook up two buttons ( I imagine old school arcade red buttons built into a wall / desk exhibit ) to an interface to control which video plays. The software part would be easy enough for anyone with a bit programming experience.

Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.