Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Is anyone else interested in a one-step, whole-system, Image-based backup solution for their macOS system with a BootCamp Windows-10 partition?

If you have been around computers for a while, you know drives can fail at any time. Backups are mandatory. I additionally like whole system Backup-Images because they can return the whole system to its previously (perfectly configured) state in a matter of minutes (without rebuilding and re-integrating data).

A good example of this is (verified) Macrium Reflect images written to external HDD. I use that on my Dell systems. It provides for fast and easy bare-metal restores, but you can also restore individual files from the Images.

I admit, I’m kind-of late to the Windows-10 BootCamp party. But I thought … if I’m going to buy a new MacPro, and run both macOS and Windows on it seriously, I should probably install BootCamp on my MacMini and see what all the fuss it about.

My first impression is it installs and works amazing well. However, I notice that the BootCamp-ed Windows partition is automatically and purposely excluded from the TimeMachine backups. As a second fall-back position on my MacMini, I occasionally take a SuperDuper Image. However, it also does not support Imaging of the BootCamp partition.

WinClone sounds limited and I think it’s kind-of expensive for what it does. The road to a full system recovery with it sounds long. I tried CloneZilla ... the Mac Bluetooth keyboard doesn't work. But main problem was the file verification failed toward the end and then it crashed down.

So, I'm looking for something like Macrium Reflect, but that works on the Mac. Kind-of surprised that Apple supports BootCamp, but doesn't provide a tool to backup the whole machine. Paragon seems to be developing for the Mac, so maybe they have something? Just wondering if anyone here has a working solution or if anyone else thinks it’s important.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA

Interesting. Thanks.

Sounds like Stellar writes the backup images to .DMG files. I guess that's normal since it runs on Mac side.

Pros:
- Looks like a developer that's familiar with Data Recovery and Backup Solutions
- Looks like a developer that knows Macs and has been working with them for a while now

Cons:
- Looks like eval version doesn't do much, so it costs $40 to see if you like it?

Looks like is fulfills most of my "solution requirements".
Some things I couldn't really tell if it supports are:
- Can it do a bare-metal restore from it's own self-bootable flash-drive environment
- Does it back-up every single partition (regardless of size, format, or function)
- Are Images exactly Verified at end of backup (usually a long pass)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.