Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojo4you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

I need your input on a potential purchase decision. I am looking at a deal for a 2nd gen ipad pro that is 256 gb and 12.7 inch going for about $550-600 CAD. Now this 2nd gen ipad pro does come with a logitech combo case and keyboard, apple pencil. The seller purchased this back in Christmas of 2018.

Currently I have a 6th gen Ipad 128 gb. I don't really have an issue with it at the moment but I do think I can benefit from a bigger screen of the Ipad pro.

I have two years left of school and I still maintain my macbook air that I purchased back in 2016. But if I purchase the Ipad pro, I would treat it as my primary portable device.

I use my current ipad for both work and school, using apps such as onenote, word, excel, emails. I also use it recreationally for youtube and occasionally netflix. I would use the same apps on the ipad pro but definitely higher usage because I also have a lot of articles/cases to read for class and again tying back to me intention of treating this 2nd gen ipad pro as my primary portable device.

My aim is to make my money's worth for the next 5 years -hoping so.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following questions:

1) Do you think an Ipad pro 2nd gen 256 gb 12.7 inch is still worth it to purchase when we are at the end of 2021? I know this model can still update to the IOS 15 but what do you think 3 to 5 years down the line?

2) Would you discourage me from selling my 6th gen ipad to buy this 2nd gen ipad pro?
a) If so when do you think is the best time for me to sell my 6th gen ipad?

3) I am assuming my 6th gen ipad is still worth about $400 CAD. Do you agree or disagree?

I am trying to do cost/benefit analysis but I know there are more factors I should consider like the battery life, the condition of the ipad pro, future IOS updates, etc.

Thanks in advance!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Hi everyone,

I need your input on a potential purchase decision. I am looking at a deal for a 2nd gen ipad pro that is 256 gb and 12.7 inch going for about $550-600 CAD. Now this 2nd gen ipad pro does come with a logitech combo case and keyboard, apple pencil. The seller purchased this back in Christmas of 2018.

Currently I have a 6th gen Ipad 128 gb. I don't really have an issue with it at the moment but I do think I can benefit from a bigger screen of the Ipad pro.

I have two years left of school and I still maintain my macbook air that I purchased back in 2016. But if I purchase the Ipad pro, I would treat it as my primary portable device.

I use my current ipad for both work and school, using apps such as onenote, word, excel, emails. I also use it recreationally for youtube and occasionally netflix. I would use the same apps on the ipad pro but definitely higher usage because I also have a lot of articles/cases to read for class and again tying back to me intention of treating this 2nd gen ipad pro as my primary portable device.

My aim is to make my money's worth for the next 5 years -hoping so.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following questions:

1) Do you think an Ipad pro 2nd gen 256 gb 12.7 inch is still worth it to purchase when we are at the end of 2021? I know this model can still update to the IOS 15 but what do you think 3 to 5 years down the line?

2) Would you discourage me from selling my 6th gen ipad to buy this 2nd gen ipad pro?
a) If so when do you think is the best time for me to sell my 6th gen ipad?

3) I am assuming my 6th gen ipad is still worth about $400 CAD. Do you agree or disagree?

I am trying to do cost/benefit analysis but I know there are more factors I should consider like the battery life, the condition of the ipad pro, future IOS updates, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Considering the 9th gen sells for $429 CAD brand new, I doubt you’ll find someone to pay almost the same price for that 6th gen. Yes I know it’s got 128, but the new models now start at 64gb, processor 3 generations newer, more ram, bigger screen etc.

Other then that, if you’re happy with your 6th gen still, I would hold onto it a bit longer. A10x is still a great chip now but not necessarily a few years from now. I wouldn’t dish out for that pro. If it was the A12x then sure, but the current $400 base model iPad is faster than that 2nd gen pro in every area. It just lacks the larger screen and speakers. But it would last much longer and get updates longer

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.