Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Hello all,

I'm not usually a person who erratically changes devices every year, I usually wait a couple years and in the case of this laptop I was planning to keep it for a good long while, however, I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage that I'm (currently) happy with. I got it on student pricing. I've only had it a few months and one of the keys have already been giving me problems (thankfully it sorted itself out).

I've had a look at Apple's website and the MacBook Air seems to be pulling me in. If I sell my current MacBook Pro for £1000, for only £1168 I could get

-512GB storage (I currently have 256GB)

-Scissor keyboard (Apple's support for butterfly keyboard repairs ends after 4 years)

-10th gen 10nm quad core (as opposed to my current 8th gen 14nm quad core)

-3733mhz DDR4 RAM as opposed to my 2133mhz DDR3 RAM

Would anyone advise this as a good idea? The scissor keyboard and larger storage are extremely attractive to me at the moment as I plan to keep my laptops for a long time. Thank you.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Hello all,

I'm not usually a person who erratically changes devices every year, I usually wait a couple years and in the case of this laptop I was planning to keep it for a good long while, however, I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage that I'm (currently) happy with. I got it on student pricing. I've only had it a few months and one of the keys have already been giving me problems (thankfully it sorted itself out).

I've had a look at Apple's website and the MacBook Air seems to be pulling me in. If I sell my current MacBook Pro for £1000, for only £1168 I could get

-512GB storage (I currently have 256GB)

-Scissor keyboard (Apple's support for butterfly keyboard repairs ends after 4 years)

-10th gen 10nm quad core (as opposed to my current 8th gen 14nm quad core)

-3733mhz DDR4 RAM as opposed to my 2133mhz DDR3 RAM

Would anyone advise this as a good idea? The scissor keyboard and larger storage are extremely attractive to me at the moment as I plan to keep my laptops for a long time. Thank you.

so what is your purpose to change your machine right now?? why dont wait until 2020 mbp launching this year.

I mean, BUS speed, processor speed only only noticeable when you're working with high load, like editing video/photos, virtual machine, developer tools studio.

many people prepare their machine with max spec, even they never used to the max :p

beernon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
so what is your purpose to change your machine right now?? why dont wait until 2020 mbp launching this year.

I mean, BUS speed, processor speed only only noticeable when you're working with high load, like editing video/photos, virtual machine, developer tools studio.

many people prepare their machine with max spec, even they never used to the max :p

I'm looking to futureproof, I know this keyboard will crap out on me after Apple's repair program ends and I don't want to pay hundreds over years because of keyboard issues, also 512GB will be really helpful

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
I'm looking to futureproof, I know this keyboard will crap out on me after Apple's repair program ends and I don't want to pay hundreds over years because of keyboard issues, also 512GB will be really helpful
Ahh I see,
better wait util apple release new one.
then we can compare THE NEW vs 2019 vs 2015 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.