Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hi guys really considering selling my ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen for a macbook/pro/air. The microsoft word in IOS/ipad OS really is limited. I tried my best sticking with the ipad because the only thing I do is read PDFs and use Microsoft Word. With that said are the 2016/2017 macbook/macbook pros still good for my use?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
yeah, I agree the iPads are hard to use for any meaningful work... Best Buy is having some amazing sales right now...

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
An iPad is an amazing device to consume content. But as soon as you want to create stuff (besides drawing), you will find yourself running into it's limitations quickly.

Since you write that "the only thing I do is read PDFs and use Microsoft Word", I would recommend a 2018 MacBook Air. A MacBook Pro is probably somewhat overpowered for your usage profile.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
What the others said above ^

Additionally, check your local Facebook marketplace / gumtree for offers. I personally think anything over a Macbook will be overkill for you, you will find some good deals on these marketplaces and/or there have been cracking deals on the 12" Macbook here in the UK for some time now as has Best Buy periodically so keep your eyes on these.

A previous gen Macbook Air at a good price will also be sufficient for your needs.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Awww thanks guys! I posted a similar thread in the ipad forum and lets just say that response was....hostile

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
If you have an Apple store nearby, go and try a few to get a feel for the one that suites you. Based on your usage description, it sounds like any of them would be more than sufficient for processing power, but you may have a preference for screen size, overall size, and features. The smaller models are just as portable as your iPad.

I agree with what the others said. The iPad is limited for overall usage. I have one and it never really fit into my workflow, an in-between machine, given that I have a MacBook and an iPhone.

Edit: Another thing to consider is going to the Apple website. They will give a trade in value for your iPad. They might have some refurbished 2016/17's as well to consider.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
If you have an Apple store nearby, go and try a few to get a feel for the one that suites you. Based on your usage description, it sounds like any of them would be more than sufficient for processing power, but you may have a preference for screen size, overall size, and features. The smaller models are just as portable as your iPad.

I agree with what the others said. The iPad is limited for overall usage. I have one and it never really fit into my workflow, an in-between machine, given that I have a MacBook and an iPhone.

Edit: Another thing to consider is going to the Apple website. They will give a trade in value for your iPad. They might have some refurbished 2016/17's as well to consider.
Awwwwww thanks!!!

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
OP, I think you are on the right track. If you do a lot of writing and keyboarding, then you are probably better off with a MBA. I think Apple s finally getting their keyboard problems under control by offering a 4 year warrantees and replacing faulty keyboards with a more robust switch mechanism.

That said; IN addition to an MBA, you might consider getting a less expensive iPad (base 9.7 or Air) for content consumption and light productivity. There are some things that an iPad does very well, e.g.: reading books and PDFs, annotating and editing documents, taking notes, and making sketches. Also, with MacOS Catalina, there is going to be more synergy between the Mac and iPad, such as: Sidecar and App compatibility.

Food for thought.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
OP, I think you are on the right track. If you do a lot of writing and keyboarding, then you are probably better off with a MBA. I think Apple s finally getting their keyboard problems under control by offering a 4 year warrantees and replacing faulty keyboards with a more robust switch mechanism.

That said; IN addition to an MBA, you might consider getting a less expensive iPad (base 9.7 or Air) for content consumption and light productivity. There are some things that an iPad does very well, e.g.: reading books and PDFs, annotating and editing documents, taking notes, and making sketches. Also, with MacOS Catalina, there is going to be more synergy between the Mac and iPad, such as: Sidecar and App compatibility.

Food for thought.

This is exactly my plan! Thank you so much! Well Im transitioning from a med school student who just reads a lot of books to a junior doctor who types/writes patient records.

Guys do you suggest getting a 2017 Macbook Pro rather than a Macbook Air? As for now will probably get a refurbished/used laptop. I heard that the 2017 macbook is better at everything except for touch ID, the keyboard and the 2hr battery life on the Air.

Anyways thank everyone for replying! This might be my first macbook.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Can only speak for me but my 2016 MBP w/touchbar is working flawlessly at everything I throw at it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.