Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Well Today I came upon a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1. I currently have a sony Alpha 700. I'm thinking about selling it and buying the Panasonic. If there is anyone out there that has this camera could you tell me how you like it? What kind of lens options there are and if I am crazy for selling my big DSLR.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The best camera anyone has is the one they have with them. You could have the best camera in the world, but if it lives at home because it's too big and heavy, you will never get shots. If you think you will carry the Panny more, you will get more pictures.

I like to shoot event type situations and don't normally shoot everyday life, so for me a DSLR is a good fit. If you like to shoot what you see around you, the Lumix could be a good fit (although maybe a PnS is a better fit as it's even smaller). It all depends what and how you like to shoot.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The best camera anyone has is the one they have with them. You could have the best camera in the world, but if it lives at home because it's too big and heavy, you will never get shots. If you think you will carry the Panny more, you will get more pictures.

I like to shoot event type situations and don't normally shoot everyday life, so for me a DSLR is a good fit. If you like to shoot what you see around you, the Lumix could be a good fit (although maybe a PnS is a better fit as it's even smaller). It all depends what and how you like to shoot.

I have a p&S as well as my dslr. But I like the fact that the Panasonic is a little bit bigger than a P&s but has the Capability of a DSLR. But I need to know how people like it. Is it worth it to downsize? Is the picture quality the same or better than what I am shooting with now?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I have a p&S as well as my dslr. But I like the fact that the Panasonic is a little bit bigger than a P&s but has the Capability of a DSLR. But I need to know how people like it. Is it worth it to downsize? Is the picture quality the same or better than what I am shooting with now?

Judging by the small sensor, the picture quality would be worse. At least when it gets to higher ISO values.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.