Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antares23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Hello,
I have a MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009 with faulty right speaker and subwoofer:
The bass is crackling A LOT and the sound is really high pitched (compared to normal sound)
But the left speaker is okay, so I just unplugged the right speaker and subwoofer from the motherboard, now only the left speaker work (this is what I want until i change the speaker)
But, the problem is that on OS X, the sound is still high pitched and not any bass.
And it's not because I unplugged the subwoofer, because on Ubuntu (Installed in dualboot) I just have to select the left speaker, and it work fine, good sound, and okay bass (of course, not much bass as the subwoofer, but it's really okay, compared on OS X)
And even if I select the left speaker, it's still like that, so my theory is (even if it could be totally stupid, I know)
Because OS X is made for the Mac, it know how to "manage" the speaker, and use only the subwoofer for bass.
And because Ubuntu is pretty generic, it just use the speaker. (I don't know if I explain it right)
What I want basically is that OS X use the speaker like Ubuntu do, because I really have a good sound on Ubuntu (even without right speaker/subwoofer)
Is there anyway to do it ?
Because I don't want to always have to use my bluetooth speaker..
(Sorry if you can't really understand, I'm french, and not speaking english very well (even if I don't have any problem to understand)
I plan replacing the speaker/subwoofer in september, but until that, I need fix for OSX)
Thanks ^^

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hop on eBay and buy a replacement. It's an easy job to swap it out mate.

Antares23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
I know it's really easy, I plan buying one on Aliexpress (My parents card isn't accepted by Paypal, so I can't use eBay, unfortunately) I just should wait, If I could buy one, I would have done for a long time, because I have this problem since I buyed the MBP. (When i tested it in the guy house, it was working really fine, but suddently, when I was downloading El Capitan, the subwoofer just stopped working properly)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I know it's really easy, I plan buying one on Aliexpress (My parents card isn't accepted by Paypal, so I can't use eBay, unfortunately) I just should wait, If I could buy one, I would have done for a long time, because I have this problem since I buyed the MBP. (When i tested it in the guy house, it was working really fine, but suddently, when I was downloading El Capitan, the subwoofer just stopped working properly)
Have you tried creating a new user account and testing to see if it's a software issue within the admin account??

Antares23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
I have done more than that, I tried with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mavericks, all fresh install on second partition, but still the same problem..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.