Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnie22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I've been having trouble sending folders with photos in them from my mac to anyone who has a pc. They are unable to open the folder. Does anyone have any ideas how I can format the files so the folder can be opened? Thanks

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
Are they able to open the folder at all? Or is it a case of they can open the folder only to find nothing in it? Is this over a network connection or already copied. Your term "send" is vague in this context.

finnie22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
It is a folder with photos inside attached to an email. The person receiving it is able to unzip the files and it shows files inside but she can't open the actual files. This has always been a problem for me. I don't like to attach individual photos to the email. It works but takes alot of space.

finnie22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I tried the right click and compress and then sent it. This is the reply I got-
If I right click on the individual file and go to "open with..."
Microsoft picture manager, it works. If I just double click on the
picture it does not work.
Is this what should happen? Is there an easier way?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I tried the right click and compress and then sent it. This is the reply I got-
If I right click on the individual file and go to "open with..."
Microsoft picture manager, it works. If I just double click on the
picture it does not work.
Is this what should happen? Is there an easier way?

Then it is a problem on the pc end. The pc default app for opening files doesn't support the file format. What you need to do is change the default app for that particular file type to Microsoft Picture Manager.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Everyone I've tried to send photos to says the same thing.

If you're compressing the folder into a ZIP file, then once it reaches the PC they should save the file to the Desktop using 'Save Attachment' before trying to open it.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
How come my iphoto folder is 20 gigs. but when i look at iphoto the information only shows like 14

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Everyone I've tried to send photos to says the same thing.

Look at the files--are there file tags attached (I know I'm using the wrong term here--I'm talking about the .jpg that's on the end of every image). I've sent files around without the .doc attached, and if users manually edit the files to add the appendage it suddenly works.

How come my iphoto folder is 20 gigs. but when i look at iphoto the information only shows like 14

What?!? Dilatory and unrelated. Start a new thread.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Look at the files--are there file tags attached (I know I'm using the wrong term here--I'm talking about the .jpg that's on the end of every image). I've sent files around without the .doc attached, and if users manually edit the files to add the appendage it suddenly works.

This is a very good suggestion. I'm ashamed I didn't think of this myself.

finnie22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
They do have tags attached. They are tiff files, though. does that matter?

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
They do have tags attached. They are tiff files, though. does that matter?

No it doesn't make a difference, but ensure your PC friends are trying to open the correct file. When sending a folder from Mac to Windows / Linux the 'hidden' Mac files will show up.

For every file in the folder will be a related file which is read on the mac but not a PC.

For example if you're sending three files in a folder

imageOne.tif
imageTwo.tif
imageThree.tif

There will also be three files which are only for a Mac

._imageOne.tif
._imageTwo.tif
._imageThree.tif

These will be visible, but slightly transparent depending on the particular install and settings of Windows. Because they are proceeded with a period they appear first and it would be easy for a PC user to look at a list and try and open those files - which would fail. Simply scrolling down the list will reveal the actual files with similar names.

I've had this problem several times moving files from a Mac to PC.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No it doesn't make a difference, but ensure your PC friends are trying to open the correct file.
There will also be three files which are only for a Mac

._imageOne.tif
._imageTwo.tif
._imageThree.tif

These will be visible, but slightly transparent depending on the particular install and settings of Windows. Because they are proceeded with a period they appear first and it would be easy for a PC user to look at a list and try and open those files - which would fail. Simply scrolling down the list will reveal the actual files with similar names.

I've had this problem several times moving files from a Mac to PC.

Yup that's the problem for most PC users.

Most PC people are lazy and quits if something doesn't work the first time, because they cannot see the difference between the translucent files and the real files.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005

Most PC people are lazy and quits if something doesn't work the first time, because they cannot see the difference between the translucent files and the real files.

Whoa, tell me you're just joking when you say that?! :) If using a PC makes someone lazy, then that implies that it does a lot more for them, more easily, than anything else, including OS X. Otherwise, if you're implying that the type of person who uses a PC is a lazy-personality-type, then you're writing off 90% of the computer population as lazy. Is it the computer that makes a person lazy, or is the person lazy first? Imagine PC manufacturers putting warning stickers on their computers: WARNING: Use of this computer may cause laziness!

DonnysChaos

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
The MAC PRO

I've been having trouble sending folders with photos in them from my mac to anyone who has a pc. They are unable to open the folder. Does anyone have any ideas how I can format the files so the folder can be opened? Thanks

I had the same problem but i figured it out
(like i do with the rest of my computer problems)

You need to do one of two things

1. Change the extension to .jpeg .jpg instead of for example .bmp which is iphoto's format or .tif. If you don't know how to change the extension just right click the item click "get info" then make sure "hide extension" is unchecked.

example.tif you would make
example.jpg

Then its going to ask you if you want to change it or keep it as it was and you are going to click "use .jpg"

2. Right click and press create archive but only do ONE archive at a time because more then one will mess it up also if its big don't do anything else and you can highlight more then one picture and archive all of them into one archive.

If anyone needs any help regarding their mac i am pretty good at most problems feel free to email me at "DonnysChaos@yahoo.com"

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
If you're compressing the folder into a ZIP file, then once it reaches the PC they should save the file to the Desktop using 'Save Attachment' before trying to open it.
Not necessary at all. I can simply open any mail attachments on PC by doubleclicking if I want to. Besides I prefer save them to where they need to be and not clutter up the desktop.

Also dumping stuff on your Mac desktop slows it down BTW.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008

And tell me why do you think that most people think Mac users are smug, superior and with their heads rammed up their fundament then?
Besides aren't Macs are made extra easy to use for the simpletons who use them? :p

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I had the same problem but i figured it out
(like i do with the rest of my computer problems)

You need to do one of two things

1. Change the extension to .jpeg .jpg instead of for example .bmp which is iphoto's format or .tif. If you don't know how to change the extension just right click the item click "get info" then make sure "hide extension" is unchecked.

example.tif you would make
example.jpg

Then its going to ask you if you want to change it or keep it as it was and you are going to click "use .jpg"
Sorry, but that is complete + utter nonsense. You do not change files from BMPs or Tiffs to jpgs by altering the extension. :eek: BMPs, Tiffs are not iPhoto's format, they are very commonly used formats, Mac + PC.

The common reason why PCs may struggle with Mac files is if there is no extension on file. Why? Windows uses the extension to recognise the file. So the common reason for file opening problems with PCs and Mac files, is files being saved without the extensions as Macs do not need them. Neither is better, they are just different.

Make sure extensions are on files before sending and you may cure your issues.

If anyone needs any help regarding their mac i am pretty good at most problems feel free to email me at "DonnysChaos@yahoo.com"
You're kidding after that advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.