Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I've got a weird speck showing up in several of my low light photos (high or low ISO, and always in the same spot, so it's not simply high ISO noise). Is this dust? (I thought sensor dust shows up only on light backgrounds.) Attached is a crop of an affected image at 100% magnification.

Anyway, it's not a big deal as it's easy to remove in software, but it'd be great if I didn't have to! :)

So, dust, or a problem with the image sensor? (It almost looks like a stuck pixel, and it's always the same color in the affected images.)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 238

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Have you tried blowing it out with an air blower?

Yeah, no luck though. I'm still not sure whether it's dust, or some other sensor issue. It doesn't seem to correspond obviously with any of the specks I see in my sensor dust test shots.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
What kind of camera do you have? I know Canon cameras have a way of resetting the charge to the sensor (or whatever the proper description would be). I had something similar on my XSi, and this quick fix cured it instantly. You do a manual sensor cleaning via the camera's menu option for that, then wait 30 seconds before turning off the camera. Worked like a charm for me.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Sensor dust usually shows up more when stopped down to f/13 or more. Does this increase the size/visibility of the spot, or is it visible at all aperture sizes?

Just by eye, I'd say it looks like a stuck pixel (i.e. doesn't look like sensor dust I've seen).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just realized I should have been specific about what the method I mentioned fixes. It's for stuck/hot pixels, not for dust. And I agree with Edge100, that does not look like dust.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
What kind of camera do you have? I know Canon cameras have a way of resetting the charge to the sensor (or whatever the proper description would be). I had something similar on my XSi, and this quick fix cured it instantly. You do a manual sensor cleaning via the camera's menu option for that, then wait 30 seconds before turning off the camera. Worked like a charm for me.

Nikon D60, and there's an automatic sensor cleaning that, by default, runs before turning on and off. There's no waiting 30 seconds, though, so maybe there's something else that could be done...

Sensor dust usually shows up more when stopped down to f/13 or more. Does this increase the size/visibility of the spot, or is it visible at all aperture sizes?

Just by eye, I'd say it looks like a stuck pixel (i.e. doesn't look like sensor dust I've seen).

Just took some test shots at f/4.5 and f/14, and it's the same size in each. Since it's a bright spot rather than a dark spot, I didn't think it was dust either. But do sensors get "stuck pixels"? I mean, it's not an LCD display. :confused:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Nikon D60, and there's an automatic sensor cleaning that, by default, runs before turning on and off. There's no waiting 30 seconds, though, so maybe there's something else that could be done...

Yes, my XSi has the automatic cleaning as well (also happens every time I turn the camera on or off), but that won't fix stuck pixels. You have to go into the menus and select manual cleaning, then wait 30 seconds. Apparently there is something different/extra that happens when you do it this way. There's lots on the web about how this method works wonderfully for hot pixels. But maybe it's just a Canon thing.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Yes, my XSi has the automatic cleaning as well (also happens every time I turn the camera on or off), but that won't fix stuck pixels. You have to go into the menus and select manual cleaning, then wait 30 seconds. Apparently there is something different/extra that happens when you do it this way. There's lots on the web about how this method works wonderfully for hot pixels. But maybe it's just a Canon thing.

Selected to clean the sensor from the menu, but as best I can tell it does the same thing that it does on startup and shutdown.

After a bit of searching around it does seem to be a "hot" pixel. (I hadn't realized that camera sensors were subject to this kind of thing too, since image sensors and LCD screens are probably not all that much alike!)

Anyway, I'm not too bothered by this, since it's easy to fix and not that noticeable. Of course, I'll probably check that spot in every picture I take now. :eek::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.