Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
My employer does not provide us with a phone, we are expected to use our own personal phones to be on call 24/7. I work in management in retail and we use WhatsApp as our main form of communication, meaning we are always “on call”. How many of you use a separate phone for work so you can relax and switch off? I work on average 50 hours per week but with all the time outside of work being on my phone it’s around the 75 hour mark and we do not get paid while not in the workplace. Has anybody got any suggestions? I would rather not use a separate phone so if anyone has a work around that would be great ? ThankYou!

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Could you use the eSim as a second "work" phone number? I guess that wouldn't affect WhatsApp, would it.

Reactions: AlexJ092

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think any employer can legally force you to use your own personal phone for work purposes. I’ve got a separate works iPhone 11 and I turn it off in the evenings and weekends out of principle. I didn’t want a phone in the first place and fought it for years. I’ve blocked all my colleagues on my personal phone as I noticed they were starting to text/ring that number instead of contacting my works phone.

I would look for a new job or bill your employer for the hassle.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Sounds like you work in a toxic environment. Run as soon as you can.

That’s your main solution to the problem. Always “on call” is not a sustainable strategy for any industry and organisation.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Thanks everyone, I work for a very well known retail employer here in the UK. Even today on my day off I have been on call sorting through issues and doing employee schedules so it hasn’t really been a day off ?. I don’t get to spend time with my family and friends and just looking for the best option I can right now, after 4 1/2 years I need to find a solution to this issue. ThankYou everyone

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I mean is your well know retailer really in need of saving minuscule £? What are we even talking about? 50£ per month? That’s laughable.

so its not that he doesn’t can invest in a phone. He knows very well that you have your private phone running and this way he can get you to work unpaid.

So you better stand up

Reactions: AlexJ092

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Thanks everyone, I work for a very well known retail employer here in the UK. Even today on my day off I have been on call sorting through issues and doing employee schedules so it hasn’t really been a day off . I don’t get to spend time with my family and friends and just looking for the best option I can right now, after 4 1/2 years I need to find a solution to this issue. ThankYou everyone

I hadn’t realised you were from the UK. They can’t make you use your personal phone for business use. I’d get some advice from ACAS.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Not sure that having a second phone would help in your case. If they expect you to be in call 24/7, then using a second phone would require you to carry that around 24/7 in addition to your personal phone.

If you’re willing to turn it off at times, then a second phone might make sense but it seems like you could just as easily log out of what’s app and save yourself the extra phone fee every month ( unless you use what’s app for personal use as well)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My employer does not provide us with a phone, we are expected to use our own personal phones to be on call 24/7. I work in management in retail and we use WhatsApp as our main form of communication, meaning we are always “on call”. How many of you use a separate phone for work so you can relax and switch off? I work on average 50 hours per week but with all the time outside of work being on my phone it’s around the 75 hour mark and we do not get paid while not in the workplace. Has anybody got any suggestions? I would rather not use a separate phone so if anyone has a work around that would be great ? ThankYou!
I have a work iPhone XR. I don’t really use it, only for times when my wifi is down because my job provides unlimited hotspot.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well, we have a similar situation here in Brazil. Employers expect employees to use their personal phones for work purposes and they do not pay any extra for that. Plus, they expect employees to be fully available 24/7 on their personal phones. This is so common and it is useless to complain. You can of course file a lawsuit but you will never get another similar job again.

I used to have a work phone and a personal phone. But, for me at least, the best approach is to have just one device. If I need to be connected all the time, I prefer to do that on my personal phone, instead of keeping checking the work phone. If you need to use two WhatsApp accounts, you can install WhatsApp for Business and insert your work number there.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I have separate phones and "work" phone goes off when I am not working. WhatsApp runs on some pretty low powered/cheap devices and I have a PAYG SIM from 3, where the credit does not expire, as the device is mostly used on wifi I don't think I've even had to top it up past the initial £10 a few years back.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
My advice is this: Get a better job where you are respected or keep bending over.

If you are going to keep bending over, then carry on using your personal phone as what's the point of carrying 2 phones everywhere, especially when your work one is needed 24/7?

Reactions: SirTravelalot

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I have a work phone, a Nokia 3310 but I haven’t used it in about 8 months, I much prefer work to just use my personal phone as I find it annoying having two phones and remembering to keep them both charged!

SirTravelalot

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
Great if you're leaving the company and then they want you to wipe your device on account of having sensible corporate information on your private iPhone.
Buy the cheapest device you can. If your employer goes cheap, you can go cheap, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.