Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
We are up to iOS 18 and there is still no way to have tow separate photo albums. Say one for personal and one for work. Or anything like that.

Is there any kind of a work around? Is anyone able to do this?

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
in case you are using iCloud Photos and are not using Shared library, it sounds as if that's what you could use? A shared library is a separate library, in the Camera app you can select what library the next photos are going to be stored in, and after the fact you can also move photos/videos from one to the other?
Not as clean as what you're hoping for, but could do the trick?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hmm… I’m struggling with the use case here. What problem are you trying to solve, that isn’t handled by albums?

Presumably both (all) libraries would still sync via iCloud - so it’s not going to help with storage space.

Shared albums are already a thing, so it’s not going to help with sharing/access.

Every feature doesn’t need to be useful to every user. But there should be SOME clear usefulness, otherwise it’s feature bloat for no reason. What’s the usefulness of this?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Hmm… I’m struggling with the use case here. What problem are you trying to solve, that isn’t handled by albums?

Presumably both (all) libraries would still sync via iCloud - so it’s not going to help with storage space.

Shared albums are already a thing, so it’s not going to help with sharing/access.

Every feature doesn’t need to be useful to every user. But there should be SOME clear usefulness, otherwise it’s feature bloat for no reason. What’s the usefulness of this?
So I can easily separate photos I take for my personal life with photos I take for my work life. And not have to go through everything when looking for a specific photo. If it is a work photo, I know to look in the work album.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If it is a work photo, I know to look in the work album.
One feature I COULD understand is the ability to set the “Default album” in Camera, so that each picture taken will go to a specific album right out of the gate. I can see setting up an album for a party or event, or vacation, or project and automatically slotting photos taken into that album. Make it a toggle-able dropdown right on the Camera screen so if it’s toggled off - no change at all, it just saves to the Library like now. If it’s on, you can select the Album right from the Camera preview, and it stays selected until you change it.

I would probably not personally use such a feature; since I have a Mac I just select a range & drag so sorting is pretty simple (plus I have to do the same anyway with imported photos from my Nikon). But if you only have iPhone, it might be beneficial.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
One feature I COULD understand is the ability to set the “Default album” in Camera, so that each picture taken will go to a specific album right out of the gate. I can see setting up an album for a party or event, or vacation, or project and automatically slotting photos taken into that album. Make it a toggle-able dropdown right on the Camera screen so if it’s toggled off - no change at all, it just saves to the Library like now. If it’s on, you can select the Album right from the Camera preview, and it stays selected until you change it.

I would probably not personally use such a feature; since I have a Mac I just select a range & drag so sorting is pretty simple (plus I have to do the same anyway with imported photos from my Nikon). But if you only have iPhone, it might be beneficial.
This is a pretty good idea, you could create an album on vacation, then every picture you take goes into that vacation album. Thats seems better than having to move them later. I'm sure Apple intelligence will have a big impact on photos, they already demoed how you can just ask Siri for specific photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.