Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I have Mac Sequoia Beta 3 (24A5289g) running in a Parallels VM. I tried to sign in my Apple ID in the VM's Mac App Store and still get an "unknown error" like before. Is this working/not working for anyone else? I thought beta 3 was supposed to enable this feature

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 3.18.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 3.18.50 AM.png
    765.6 KB · Views: 189

Fingernail

Contributor
Nov 5, 2020
I tried it yesterday with Beta 3, on a freshly-created virtualized mac running Sequoia, and got an 'Unknown Error' when trying to sign up with the same AppleID. It's not just you.

This is on an M1 mac (not x86).

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I can confirm what @Fingernail says. The only way to use iCloud, App Store, etc. is to create a macOS Sonoma VM, connect to AppleID, and then upgrade it to Sequoia. That has worked for me (with VMware Fusion on Intel host).

Now (beta 3) my VM is asking me to verify my AppleID recovery key. I am avoiding this as I expect it to fail and, possibly, lock me out!

I suspect we a living dangerously by trying to use our everyday AppleID with the Sequoia beta. Safer, if you need to explore iCloud and AppStore apps, is to create a new AppleID.

Last year there were no such problems, but betas in some previous years had issues because Apple was changing iCloud. Maybe the same this year.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I can confirm what @Fingernail says. The only way to use iCloud, App Store, etc. is to create a macOS Sonoma VM, connect to AppleID, and then upgrade it to Sequoia. That has worked for me (with VMware Fusion on Intel host).

Now (beta 3) my VM is asking me to verify my AppleID recovery key. I am avoiding this as I expect it to fail and, possibly, lock me out!

I suspect we a living dangerously by trying to use our everyday AppleID with the Sequoia beta. Safer, if you need to explore iCloud and AppStore apps, is to create a new AppleID.

Last year there were no such problems, but betas in some previous years had issues because Apple was changing iCloud. Maybe the same this year.
The reason it's working for you (and has worked in the past) is because you're using an Intel Mac. The iCloud issue only affects VMs on Apple Silicon Macs. Also, for it to work on Apple Silicon, one needs to create the VM using the IPSW file instead of upgrading or using the installer. (The host Mac also needs to be running Sequoia, as mystery hill pointed out.)

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I built a new VM on Parallels using Sequoia b3 as host and Guest. It was built from an ISPW.
Apple ID worked for iCloud, but not the App Store.

voldemortkein

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2024
Its correct its not possible to login Apple ID accounts on macOS Sequoia.
I tried on Beta 8 and release candidate on a Virtual Machine, in my case Proxmox server.
the only way to preserve the Apple ID its to install Sonoma first and upgrade to Sequoia.
BUT, its only connected, but you cannot use neither Apple Pay or other Apple Services.

I think that this is a new Apple policy that tries to prevent piracy and prevent to run on macOS on hackintoshes or virtual machines, well I mean run but partially, without Apple Services

rbelusko

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
I would like to point out that I've tested this on a Mac Mini 2018. (The 2018 model officially supports Sequoia).
Both the host and guest have MacOS 15.0 (public release from today).

The Fusion VMX file does not have any special parameters which define the guest (such as, board ID, Serial, ROM/MLB..etc)

When I try to sign into iCloud, it just says "Incorrect Password".

Likely not a Hackintosh issue, but a bug yet to be addressed by MacOS Sequoia virtual machines. Note that in this same scenario, MacOS Sonoma works perfectly fine.

jasion

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
I would like to point out that I've tested this on a Mac Mini 2018. (The 2018 model officially supports Sequoia).
Both the host and guest have MacOS 15.0 (public release from today).

The Fusion VMX file does not have any special parameters which define the guest (such as, board ID, Serial, ROM/MLB..etc)

When I try to sign into iCloud, it just says "Incorrect Password".

Likely not a Hackintosh issue, but a bug yet to be addressed by MacOS Sequoia virtual machines. Note that in this same scenario, MacOS Sonoma works perfectly fine.
I am currently using the official version of VM MacOS 15 and still cannot log in to iCloud. Do you have any good suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.