Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike6088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2024
Hi All,

Since the update to Sequoia I've been noticing that I'm experiencing an issue which was fixed in Sonoma.

I use an M1 Air 16gb alongside a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (Keychron q5 pro and MX Master 3S)

This all works fine and as expected when only these two devices are in use.

However as soon as I connect my Airpods (first gen, solely used for video calls) for a zoom call for example the Bluetooth connectivity tanks and all 3 devices become choppy and laggy.

The mouse seems to only record movement once every second, the cursor jumps from spot to spot on the display
The keyboard is constantly skipping keys I press, most likely the same as the above.
Airpods make everybody sound like robots and make me sound like a robot, cool, but not fun for long.

This issue was something I experienced prior in OS Ventura, however it was perfectly fine with the exact same setup on Sonoma for it's full release cycle.

The laptop is my company laptop so I'm not able to make quick changes to settings. I've heard that disabling "Airplay Receiver" would work, however lacking admin rights I'm not able to disable it now. I'll report back once I've done so.

Due to company policy we're also not allowed to use USB receivers like the Logitech Bolt dongle as these can pose security hazards, the security team limits us to the types of devices we can plug into our Macbooks.

This issue is puzzling me as It's been working fine.

Looking into some forum threads and older posts I see these issues pop up since Sequoia Beta 2, potentially something introduces in that version causes this issue.

Looking forward to hear what all of you think, and ofcourse open to any recommendations. For now it's back to wired earbuds.

Thanks in advance!

NeidRider

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2023
I'm seeing some Bluetooth-issues as well, which are:
- Forgotten devices
- Need to re-pair devices
- Short but repeated audio dropouts
- Devices not being reconnected automatically

I'll try disabling the airplay receiver and see if this at least resolves the choppy audio, don't think it'll help with the other issues.

Last edited:

Mike6088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2024
Hi all, quick update on my end.

Was able to get airplay receiver turned off and all seems to be fine, normal mouse usage without connecting the airpods also seems more responsive.

On the M1 it looks like the airplay receiver setting (on Sequoia 15.0) takes a bunch of the available Bluetooth bandwidth.

I'll report back in a few days to see if the fix sticks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.