Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
i use this computer for work, and i'm not going to go updating a major version and risk breaking things in the middle of a project. why doesn't apple appreciate this and instead think they should pop this screen up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

and for those of you saying "its for security" - i will update when it makes sense between project cycles. assuming their customers can't make informed decisions about this is insulting. and why do they include a button for it and just ignore it?

sorry for the rant, i just wish we'd stop giving so much of a pass to these massive companies for really basic stuff.

1727381291402.png

1727381303594.png

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Yep. I'm sick of this mentality. Apple doesn't really consider you the owner of products you buy from them. You're a tenant.

I've resorted to this alias - of course, after turning off all the automatic checking like you have done in the screenshot.

1727387716351.png

Edit: Although this might not work on Sonoma, since it's system settings instead of preferences now.

And the purpose of that alias is to get rid of the red badge on the system prefs icon.

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
i use this computer for work, and i'm not going to go updating a major version and risk breaking things in the middle of a project. why doesn't apple appreciate this and instead think they should pop this screen up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

and for those of you saying "its for security" - i will update when it makes sense between project cycles. assuming their customers can't make informed decisions about this is insulting. and why do they include a button for it and just ignore it?

sorry for the rant, i just wish we'd stop giving so much of a pass to these massive companies for really basic stuff.

View attachment 2428660
View attachment 2428661
I'm still using Sonoma and I haven't ever had a pop-up suggesting I upgrade.
In settings / general / software update there is some spiel and an "upgrade now" button, which I'm not going to click until the reported issues are fixed.

I DO have check for updates on, download new updates on and install security on. Install updates and application updates are off. I wonder if that stops you getting the pop-ups?

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I'm still using Sonoma and I haven't ever had a pop-up suggesting I upgrade.
In settings / general / software update there is some spiel and an "upgrade now" button, which I'm not going to click until the reported issues are fixed.

I DO have check for updates on, download new updates on and install security on. Install updates and application updates are off. I wonder if that stops you getting the pop-ups?
weird, i did have those toggles on as i do regularly accept security and point updates, but after I got that upgrade nag for like 3 straight days, i turned them off till i have an appropriate time to upgrade. but they just. kept. coming.

so for me regardless of on/off, the system appears to ignore it. :(

Reactions: Geoff777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.