Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
At the moment I'm copying my photos library to the internal drive to see if that works.

Thoughts? Next steps?

-

2020 Mac Mini M1 16gb/1tb
Samsung T7 Touch 2tb external drive

This setup worked fine with the prior Mac OS

-

Last edited:

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Update:

Exact same library works fine when opened from the internal drive ....

I can find the external file but the moment I try to open it from there it, "Switch Library?"

bam .... crashes. It used to show an error message, Unable to Open, something like that.

-

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Helps to post your Mac model and year. Also post detailed specs of your external HD.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
just to be clear: how do you try to open it? another side note: the T7 uses APFS or another file system?

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I had formatted the T7 with Mac OS Extended

I originally tried opening from within Photos, when it was the System Photo Library, as usual but no go.

Then I tried clicking on the file directly, which opened Photos and right into an error window

Since the Sequoia update clearly broke something the Photos app it would crash immediately, no option to find the folder.

So I copied the photos file to the internal drive and it works fine in that case.

Trying to re-open the same file, from the Photos window, from the external drive, just brings up an error message.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
2 things you can try:
  • import the library the Apple way. Quit Photos. Press and hold the Option key, then click the Photos icon in the Dock. In the Choose Library dialogue, select the library you want to import photos into, then click Choose Library.
  • Repair the library

In any case: have a look into the Photos crash log in the Console. If needed post it here. What is the error message you mentioned exactly?

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
instead of »edit« I used »reply« to my own comment … please ignore 🤣🤪

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
-

Ok, despite the OS process restarting itself, I went ahead and did a manual restart.

Now the external file, SAME EXACT FILE, SAME EXACT DRIVE ..... works fine, including being able to set it as System Photo Library again.

That is a very MS Windows sort of thing that I thought I had gotten away from.

-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.