Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahargraviton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
Hey guys,

Because of my laptop defect on the keyboard, I returned my laptop to have a replacement. I know the serial number! Is it possible to fix the keyboard and gave the laptop with another serial number? Is it possible yo change the serial number?

I told them and insisted that I want a brand new one because I sent if within the 14 days.

Whta do you think?

Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When your Mac needs a repair, Apple repairs it, and you get the same machine back. You don't get a brand new machine. The serial number shouldn't change. I think serial numbers are paired with logic boards, and if the machine gets a logic board repair I think they install your machine's serial number on the new board.

Bahargraviton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
When your Mac needs a repair, Apple repairs it, and you get the same machine back. You don't get a brand new machine. The serial number shouldn't change. I think serial numbers are paired with logic boards, and if the machine gets a logic board repair I think they install your machine's serial number on the new board.
Thank you
But it was a manufacture defect and I hated it. They told me we change it with a brand new one!
So is it better to be refund? And then buy it again?!

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
If I had issues with my brand new notebook, I would have sent it back for a complete refund. Then I would have purchased a new one afterwards ensuring that I would get a new one instead of a repaired one. I would never get a repair during the 14 day return period. Some do for some unknown reason thinking that they had to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard2k

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If they said they replace it, they will probably replace it. Or do you have any reason to believe they would lie to you?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It's like a Chinese fortune cookie.
You have to open it, to read it.
Wait until you get the MBP back, and compare its serial number with the original one.
Then... you'll know.

Reactions: chabig

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
If they said they replace it, they will probably replace it. Or do you have any reason to believe they would lie to you?

The original post is ambiguous. Is “it” referring to a new keyboard or a new MacBook? And never mind what the OP may have inferred, what did Apple actually say?

Why would they send the MacBook away to replace the MacBook?

It sounds like a lot of confusion that could have been easily avoided with clear communication.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

Apple replacements mean you get a refurb. Also, as 'Never Mind' (#4) mentioned to settle for a mere repair within such a short period of ownership is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.