Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bashman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
I've had my Apple Watch Series 1 Space Grey 42mm for about a month now. And am noticing the colour flaking away. It's ok the front of the watch towards the corner.
Anyone else having the same problem?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I've had the same model for less than three weeks, I don't see any scratches or color flaking away. Can you post a picture so I can better understand what are you talking about?

rkulpajr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I've had the same model for less than three weeks, I don't see any scratches or color flaking away. Can you post a picture so I can better understand what are you talking about?
I had a similar issue where it was pitting at the  logo on the rear. I have apple care + for the watch and it was replaced under that warranty. It actually happened to be twice so I was two watch replacements within two years. I have since sold that watch and got a series 2 watch. I hope it does not have the same issues.

IMG_1769.JPG

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Oh I see. It is small now, but I guess you immediately see it every time you glance at your Watch, it is the same thing when I scratch my car.
Did you dropped the Watch or bumped your arm against an hard surface? Or it just happened?
I'm quite worried about damaging the Watch since I wear it all day and that's the reason why I have AC+. But I'd try to get it fixed without spending money, if possibile, and if you didn't drop it.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I've had my Apple Watch Series 1 Space Grey 42mm for about a month now. And am noticing the colour flaking away. It's ok the front of the watch towards the corner.
Anyone else having the same problem?
After four months my brothers had the problem. Inspected by a genius, she determined it had not been abused and replaced it.

bashman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
Oh I see. It is small now, but I guess you immediately see it every time you glance at your Watch, it is the same thing when I scratch my car.
Did you dropped the Watch or bumped your arm against an hard surface? Or it just happened?
I'm quite worried about damaging the Watch since I wear it all day and that's the reason why I have AC+. But I'd try to get it fixed without spending money, if possibile, and if you didn't drop it.
Nope not bumped it that I know of or dropped it. My previous watch was the Series 0 and had that a year. That got bumped a few times but never had a issues like this with that.
Going to book an appointment with Genuies Bar.

bashman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
Wow. I just bought mine yesterday. Series 1. I noticed last night the finish was chipping in the exact spot as this pic!! Exchanged at BB. Except mine was deep in that grove. Was like that outta the box.
BB as in Best Buy?

bashman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
Yes. Sorry.
No worries. Ok now this is weird. I actually bought mine from Best Buy also, while I was over in US for my holiday. I bought it release day. I didn't set it up until I got home. Due to my iPhone needing iOS 10.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
The back of my watch started to lose the text within a few weeks, this is mine now - Launch day series 0 model
i'm not too bothered as it's on the back but it seems a little odd!

IMG_1685.JPG

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I had an original aluminum black that had the exact same issue in the exact same spot. I could never explain it and thought I bumped it because I work on ships. I ended up selling it at a discount, but should have gotten it replaced it seems.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I thought of getting a stainless steel Space Black. Does anyone know if it happens to that too?

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I have had my 42mm SG AW S0 for almost a year and I have not had any chipping of the paint. The ones chipping on the underside must be some kind of manufacturing defect. I would get them exchanged.

TxWatch

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I've had my Series 0 Sport Watch since September 2015 and there are several spots where the paint has worn away.

The HR monitor on the back is also scuffed which I can't understand as I've only ever used the bundled Apple 5w charger that came in the box.

Reactions: ManicMarc

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had my Series 0 Sport Watch since September 2015 and there are several spots where the paint has worn away.

The HR monitor on the back is also scuffed which I can't understand as I've only ever used the bundled Apple 5w charger that came in the box.

It's one of the unfortunate issues with the aluminum model. It's painted versus having the stainless model and ceramic backing on the heart rate sensor.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
The back of my watch started to lose the text within a few weeks, this is mine now - Launch day series 0 model
i'm not too bothered as it's on the back but it seems a little odd!

View attachment 666552
Mine did the same thing. Took it into Apple since the button on the side was starting to stick- Genius looked at it and said since the serial # was hardly readable he replaced it.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016

Happened to me too the first day I used the charger. What I did was paste some transparent tape cut in the shape of the glass. No more scratches :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.