Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
My almost 2 year old (purchased 9/2016) Series 2 was working fine until this past weekend. I noticed it getting warm on my wrist and saw the battery was draining very quickly. I did a power down reset but when it came back up it continued to heat up and drain the battery rapidly. Over the last few days I've unpaired/paired, erased all content, and have tried everything to bring it back.

At first I thought an app was at fault, but right now there is nothing installed (setup as new). Currently things have gotten even worse since the battery won't even take a charge, so when placed on the charger the watch will endlessly try to boot up, fail (low battery?), shutdown, then try to reboot again. While this is happening the watch become very hot to the touch.

I've read that there are S2 battery issues, some of which Apple will repair under a special extended (3 year) warranty. Mine doesn't exhibit any physical damage (display separated from watch), it just won't take a charge. Is there hope Apple will cover a repair/replacement (I don't have Apple Care), or am I out of luck?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You are probably out of luck. The replacement is for swollen batteries which always pops the screen off. Since it is getting hot (not a symptom of swollen batteries) it sounds like the charger may be defective. If so there is nothing you can do.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
You are probably out of luck. The replacement is for swollen batteries which always pops the screen off. Since it is getting hot (not a symptom of swollen batteries) it sounds like the charger may be defective. If so there is nothing you can do.

I'm not suspecting the charger since the watch gets warm just wearing it (when it would still boot up). Putting it on a charger makes it hot. I'm pretty sure it's a defective/bad battery, it just hasn't swollen (enough) yet to separate the screen.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm not suspecting the charger since the watch gets warm just wearing it (when it would still boot up). Putting it on a charger makes it hot. I'm pretty sure it's a defective/bad battery, it just hasn't swollen (enough) yet to separate the screen.
You are NOT "putting it on the charger". You are putting it on the charging puck. The charger is located INSIDE the Watch. The charger (circuitry) controls the amount of power going in and out of the battery. Too much power = heat.

All chargers are located INSIDE the device and next to the battery (except when using DC fast charging in an EV that bypasses the charger).

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKLG2AM/A/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-cable-1m

Last edited:

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
You are NOT "putting it on the charger". You are putting it on the charging puck. The charger is located INSIDE the Watch. The charger (circuitry) controls the amount of power going in and out of the battery. Too much power = heat.

All chargers are located INSIDE the device and next to the battery (except when using DC fast charging in an EV that bypasses the charger).

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MKLG2AM/A/apple-watch-magnetic-charging-cable-1m

Sure, I understand how Qi inductive charging works, I guess my point was without applying induction to the watch (it was on my wrist) it was getting warm. If your theory is that a defective charger without induction applied (the puck) could generate heat, then it could be a defective charger.

Is it possible the charger is shorted out which is causing the battery to discharge at a high rate and therefor generating a lot of heat in the process?

Have there been other instances of the charger failing causing a situation similar to what I see?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My theory is possible but we can NEVER know since Apple will not take the Watch apart and diagnose. You have a hardware problem and unfortunately there is nothing to be done.

Here is an S0 I own. If I leave it charging it will get to the point of booting and then reboot over and over plus it gets hot. Sound familiar?:eek:

IMG_5074.jpg

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Yes, that's exactly the issue I have, and I've seen the same screen (although not lately since it won't boot anymore)! Apples GiveBack price for my model is $125 assuming it's functional. I wonder what the price is if it's in a boot loop?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, that's exactly the issue I have, and I've seen the same screen (although not lately since it won't boot anymore)! Apples GiveBack price for my model is $125 assuming it's functional. I wonder what the price is if it's in a boot loop?

If the watch is not functional due to a hardware or software issue, Apple may not purchase it from you. Not to mention, Apple does _not_directly purchase the watch from you, Brightstar does, which is a third-party company that has to assess the watch and then they will determine the value. But being that your watch will not function normally, it’s essentially worthless to them and they will send it back to you.

I would read this thread for further information of what I am referring to:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/don’t-use-apple’s-trade-in-program-for-your-aw.2122097/

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Apple will replace your watch for $229. You may try to convince them it is a battery issue (since the fee for that is $79).

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Apple will replace your watch for $229. You may try to convince them it is a battery issue (since the fee for that is $79).

By replace, would that be a refurbished S2? I'm not sure it'd be worth it with the S4 coming this fall (larger display, faster CPU).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.