Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What defect are you experiencing on your S4?

• Light bleed

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Display not flush to case

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Sapphire scratches easily

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Poor battery life

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Static/hissing noise

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Digital Crown problem

• Casing imperfections

• Other

• None

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I’ve had 3 Apple Watch Series 4s with three different issues and have a 4th on the way. If that one has an issue, I think I’ll either have to skip this generation, resort to a Series 3, or wait until they address these issues. What issue(s) are you experiencing? Are your replacements/exchanges good? Is this normal for a redesign product launch?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I’ve had 3 Apple Watch Series 4s with three different issues and have a 4th on the way. If that one has an issue, I think I’ll either have to skip this generation, resort to a Series 3, or wait until they address these issues. What issue(s) are you experiencing? Are your replacements/exchanges good? Is this normal for a redesign product launch?
7 apple watch’s series 4.
Issues: the other 6 people in the family won’t shut up about how much they like them.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I’ve had 3 Apple Watch Series 4s with three different issues and have a 4th on the way.
I dunno, but I feel some people are overly perfectionist of what to expect of a mass-produced piece of electronics. Like the "hiss defect" for example. Yeah, if I put my watch riiiiiiiiight up to my ear, and its display is on, and its a really quiet room with just about no background noise from ventilation, outside traffic, other people, pets, neighbors etc, maybe I can hear an electronic type buzzing, really super faintly. MAYBE, or perhaps I'm imagining it I'm not even entirely sure. If it is real, I'm like, COME ON, I hope nobody's ever returned their watch over that because it would be RIDICULOUS.

It's so incredibly incredibly faint. You CAN'T hear it unde anything even approaching normal circumstances. Even holding the watch at nose-length distance it's inaudible. Gotta be just about right up inside the ear itself.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I dunno, but I feel some people are overly perfectionist of what to expect of a mass-produced piece of electronics. Like the "hiss defect" for example. Yeah, if I put my watch riiiiiiiiight up to my ear, and its display is on, and its a really quiet room with just about no background noise from ventilation, outside traffic, other people, pets, neighbors etc, maybe I can hear an electronic type buzzing, really super faintly. MAYBE, or perhaps I'm imagining it I'm not even entirely sure. If it is real, I'm like, COME ON, I hope nobody's ever returned their watch over that because it would be RIDICULOUS.

It's so incredibly incredibly faint. You CAN'T hear it unde anything even approaching normal circumstances. Even holding the watch at nose-length distance it's inaudible. Gotta be just about right up inside the ear itself.
If I’m spending $800 I expect it to be perfect. I doubt I’m the only one.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
overly perfectionist

upload_2018-10-8_20-44-33.jpeg

Would you be ok with this?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Damn. Horrible luck.

I have 3 series 4 with no issues. Bought one for myself, my wife, and my mom.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Keep in mind, when problems are reported with an Apple Watch, you usually hear about them only on a tech forum. _Most_ average consumers wouldn’t be able to tell you what an abnormal display even looks like. We have to consider the millions of Apple Watches that Apple sells to the consumer that will likely never experience problems. Those who do have hardware issues, are the ones who will discuss it on a site like this.

And for the record, the whole hissing noise with the Series 4 Apple Watch, I’m not convinced that’s a hardware fault, more or less, a tendency with the Series 4 with some form of coil whine.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
When the series 0 came out, my first one kept switching off, the second arrived with a massive scratch on the SS casing. With my first series 2 ceramic, the bands wouldn't fit flush with the watch so that was replaced. No issues with the series 3 ceramic. I have returned my Series 4 as the bottom of the case wasn't flush with the glass as reported by a few people and i am waiting for a replacement. Never had issues with any phones since the 3GS or any iPad issues since series 2 and i have had every model. It just seems to be the watches that i have had quality issues with

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Would you be ok with this?
Not sure, what exactly am I looking at/for? Brightness variance? Never used the Nike faces or studied them closely, but if that's unintended then yeah, that'd be something worth complaining about. The "hissing noise" as some have called it you'd be crazy to ask a replacement for. What equipment with amps/speakers don't hiss?

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
I have a small dead pixel on the bottom left of my screen only visible with the flashlight function on. I'm not sure if I am bothered to get a replacement since my S0 initially had the same issue as well which I ended up getting a replacement for. With the amount of possible defects out there, I may just settle with what I have.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
On side note, wondering if anyone has the same issue.
There are times when I get a tap for message notification and when I raise my wrist it only shows the time and not the message. Have to physically scroll down the notification tab to view the message.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I think I'll wait for the Series 5 and stick with the Series 3. The gray/light-bleed inconsistency issue is really bad and I don't think it's just a handful of watches. I think it's the display tech/engineering on this model. Once you see it it can't be unseen.

I have yet to see anyone post a consistent panel

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
That's the thing with anecdotal evidence. Making policy decisions on only a handful of samples often leads to skewed results, especially when peoples' motivation to post (their screens, in this case) is biased in one particular direction - like if someone's OLED display is uneven color. You get an overrepresentation of people with flawed products.

Mine isn't, by the way. I can't be bothered posting a screenshot, you'll just have to take my word for it.

(Btw LOL if you think Apple would launch a new watch model where a majority of screens were flawed/faulty...)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think I'll wait for the Series 5 and stick with the Series 3. The gray/light-bleed inconsistency issue is really bad and I don't think it's just a handful of watches.

You’re perfectly capable believing whatever you want to, but A Tech forum consisting of XYZ amount of members is not indicative of the millions of Apple Watches sold that (may or may not) experience a particular problem. I can interject my Series 4 Apple Watch display is perfect, as another member alluded to as well. We don’t have enough quantitative data to prove that it’s a widespread issue more than it is localized for those who find something wrong with their Apple Watch, Or, who are more particular about looking for issues because of what they read.

Also, there was another thread about the display not seen an evenly with a gap the Series 4, other members with Series 3 Apple Watch were checking there watches and noticed the gap, but had no idea that a slight gap even existed until a certain thread was brought to their attention. My point is, defects exist, it’s just a matter of how serious they are to be noticed.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You’re perfectly capable believing whatever you want to, but A Tech forum consisting of XYZ amount of members is not indicative of the millions of Apple Watches sold that (may or may not) experience a particular problem. I can interject my Series 4 Apple Watch display is perfect, as another member alluded to as well. We don’t have enough quantitative data to prove that it’s a widespread issue more than it is localized for those who find something wrong with their Apple Watch, Or, who are more particular about looking for issues because of what they read.

Also, there was another thread about the display not seen an evenly with a gap the Series 4, other members with Series 3 Apple Watch were checking there watches and noticed the gap, but had no idea that a slight gap even existed until a certain thread was brought to their attention. My point is, defects exist, it’s just a matter of how serious they are to be noticed.
I see your point, but out of the 5 watches I had a look at and tested with the dark gray image. they all had the issue, 100% and not in the same way, it was a varied result. It is a quality problem. And no offense but for those with "perfect" screens who can't be bothered to post a pic with the test image are a little hard to believe.

Post a pic please. I really want to see one that doesn't have the issue

And yeah, does it REALLY affect day to day general use? Probably not. But it's noticeable on ANY UI element that is gray. It's not a struggle to see it in low light conditions

Look at this

Vr18om5.jpg

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
I think I'll wait for the Series 5 and stick with the Series 3. The gray/light-bleed inconsistency issue is really bad and I don't think it's just a handful of watches. I think it's the display tech/engineering on this model. Once you see it it can't be unseen.

Cause you spend so much time with a specific shade of grey on your watch in the dark?

My watch also does it but I don’t see it in any normal situation. People who go looking for issues will always find them, new Apple hardware always amuses me, the amount of people specifically looking for faults and swapping out devices over and over looking for that ‘perfect’ one, it’s comical.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Cause you spend so much time with a specific shade of grey on your watch in the dark?

My watch also does it but I don’t see it in any normal situation. People who go looking for issues will always find them, new Apple hardware always amuses me, the amount of people specifically looking for faults and swapping out devices over and over looking for that ‘perfect’ one, it’s comical.
That's really not the point.. and yeah. I use the Siri gray color face constantly and see one side of the screen noticeable darker. That's a problem.

The argument isn't "Deal with it, no big deal" it's is it a defect or not?

It is 100% a display quality issue

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
That's really not the point.. and yeah. I use the Siri gray color face constantly and see one side of the screen noticeable darker. That's a problem.

The argument isn't "Deal with it, no big deal" it's is it a defect or not?

It is 100% a display quality issue

It’s consumer hardware that is relatively cheap, I bet you could buy a half million dollar car and If you scrutinise it hard enough find imperfections, nothing is perfect, everything is built to tolerances.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
but for those with "perfect" screens who can't be bothered to post a pic with the test image are a little hard to believe.

I can see that you have a very strong concern obviously because of what you are experiencing with the dispay based off your responses in this thread, but just because someone doesn’t post a picture doesn’t have to validate their opinion to someone else on the Internet. The reality is, even if someone did post a picture of a ‘perfect’ display, does that really change your mind that this alleged ‘problem’ (Which hasn’t been identified) is intermittent at best? What satisfaction would that achieve for you if you observed a perfect display? Are you under the notion that a perfect display doesn’t exist? You just Seem very infatuated with comparing as many displays as you can for your own anecdotal evidence, which I think you’re over-analyzing personally.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
It’s consumer hardware that is relatively cheap, I bet you could buy a half million dollar car and If you scrutinise it hard enough find imperfections, nothing is perfect, everything is built to tolerances.
Oh cool, this excuse again.

How about, let's get the primary functional surface to display in a way that it should? Especially since previous models didn't have the issue, the iPhone OLED display doesn't have the issue either.

Or maybe I should just stay away from anything gray? Look at the Nike faces that are gray.. it's noticeable all the time.

This thing cost more than an iPhone XS Plus or close to it (I bought the stainless/Milanese loop) model. Get it right.

If you're cool with dropping $1k on a watch only to have the display issue remedied for a Series 5 model and want to drop another $1k then good for you.

I'll stick with my S3 for now. But to convince yourself that the issue doesn't exist and to try to convince others that it's normal or OK is hilarious to me
[doublepost=1539197998][/doublepost]
I can see that you have a very strong concern obviously right now because of what you are experiencing with the dispay based off your responses in this thread, but just because someone doesn’t post a picture doesn’t have to validate their opinion to someone else on the Internet. The reality is, even if someone did post a picture of a ‘perfect’ display, does that really change your mind that this problem is intermittent at best? What satisfaction would that achieve for you if you observed a perfect display? Are you under the notion that a perfect display doesn’t exist? You just Seem very infatuated with comparing as many displays as you can for your own anecdotal evidence, which I think you’re over-analyzing personally.
I'm content with my choice to stick with a Series 3.. I will believe it when I see it. Generally you're correct, those who have a negative experience are the ones speaking up. But until I see a display that is consistent posted, what is more anecdotal?

Reactions: Balders

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
I guess you missed the multiple threads of people looking at grey backgrounds on their iPhone X last year then?

Panel uniformity has been an issue on OLED displays since their inception, plenty of people posting banding issues on their OLED TV’s on TV forums.

LCD TV’s have backlight bleed and clouding, OLED’s have uniformity issues, you choose what issues you’re willing to put up with.

You stick to your series 3 if it makes you happy, I’ll continue to enjoy my series 4.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.