Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
Replaced my Series 5 watch with the 8 a couple of weeks ago and I’ve managed to get two scratches on the new one in that time without any rough knocks or anything untoward. Has anyone else noticed the series 8 scratching easier. Went 3 years without a scuff on my series 5

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Are you referring to aluminum - scratches very easily both body and screen or SS - very difficult to scratch and have never scratched the screen in 8+ years of ownership, but the body will get micro scratches that can be easil buffed out with a $10 cape cod cloth. Either way, good luck!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Aluminium and it’s just the screen not casing
The aluminum screen is typically a scratch magnet. My friend group (10+ Apple Watches) most upgraded to SS just for the screen durability, but my Mom still uses the aluminum with a screen protector. Her screen on her old S4 aluminum watch was pretty bad and for the most part she’s gentle with it.

Not a fan of screen protectors on a watch, but if you go aluminum it makes sense to add one (I’m surprised your 5 is pristine, but I think that’s the exception to the rule - in my limited experience.). Good luck!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have the aluminium. So far no scratches, but I'm pretty careful. Did not collect any on my previous SE either.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This was a big topic last year with the Series 7 when Apple made the glass more crack-resistant; so as a result, the glass is softer and more prone to scratches than previous models.

I ordered both sizes last year trying to decide which one I wanted. I took extra care of these since I knew one of them was going back. The 45mm one had a few micro scratches within a week. (My Series 2 only had a few scratches after being naked for five years.) The 41mm was fine and is the one I kept since it was more comfortable, but not sure why the 45mm I had scratched so easily...maybe it was just a bad batch. I did end up getting LK screen protectors to put on mine for peace of mind. It's pretty much invisible and can't tell its on there without looking too closely.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I’ve owned several Apple Watches, all aluminum. I’ve been to Malaysian, Korean, and other shipyards, Indonesian and North African power plants, engine rooms and other machinery spaces aboard FPSO ships throughout Africa and other continents. One watch had a minor scratch on the corner of a screen. You had to angle it just right to see. Received full trade in value for it. I’ve even set off fall detection three times. Hit my arm against metal door frame, and busted my ass twice.

So my question is “What are y’all doing to ding these watches up ?” I’m trying to find scratches on my series 7 in sunlight, no joy…

Reactions: delsoul

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
I just picked up a Series 8, aluminum. Wondering if my bracelets (sterling silver) will scratch it too much. More concerned about the glass but also the case.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
It is a wearable it will likely get scratched, I don’t care. I expect scratches dings and dent over the next few years on my series 8. Since I always get the cheapest version and the smaller ones. My original version looked like, it went thru a war and it had scratches dent and dings all over it and the lower corner was cracked on the crystal. It never bothered me and I still be using my original if the battery had not died on it. When I buy new I just relax and use my veteran discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.