Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldenning

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
I'd like to ask everyone if they have ever experienced the kind of problem I just had with Applecare. I brought in my 2017 Macbook Pro 13" to the Apple Store - Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD last week to fix the keyboard problem. They sent it out to replace the top case and returned it to me yesterday.

I started it up at home and discovered that it was booting into an eDrive installed from Techtool Pro 9, and not into the standard Macintosh HD partition that I had when I left the notebook with them. I use Techtool Pro 9, but had never installed the eDrive onto the machine. I tried to switch the startup to the main partition and the system reported that the drive was encrypted and I needed to enter a password, which I did not have, and had never created. Drive Utility reported that the entire main drive partition was uninitialized. After spending nearly 45 minutes on the phone with Applecare, the bottom line result was that they disavowed any knowledge or responsibility over the condition of the hard drive. There was total denial that anyone who worked for them could have done it. However, they also said that when returned to the store, technical personnel would have started it up and run diagnostics BEFORE returning it to me. How could have they have done that and not seen the eDrive startup that I had.

The only solution offered was to erase and reformat the entire disk, which I did, leaving me with hours of replacing the original programs installed, etc. I am so disatisfied and frustrated. I have always considered Apple and Applecare support the means to give me some peace of mind for everything major I purchase from them. I am so ready to send Tim Cook an email to explain what happended to me, and to let him know my feelings and thoughts on my experience.

If anyone has some thoughts on this, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Kingcr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
UK
Your machine shouldn’t have been returned to you with diagnostic tools installed. However it being returned with your data erased/inaccessible is “acceptable” - meaning it should have been highlighted to you as a possibility when you took your machine in. In my experience, you’re typically asked to confirm you have backed up your data and I’ve been asked to sign for potential data loss. Annoying nonetheless.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, it's annoying that this happened. When I need to return equipment (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc.) that contains personal data, I backup and wipe before sending.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Ive never had this happen to me, but the two times I’ve sent repair items to Apple I did the same thing that @Audit13 said, backup using Time Machine and wipe before I send off.

Apple typically makes it a big point when sending in repairs that there is a potential for corrupted/damaged data during the repair process, and they mention making time machine backup before sending in.

It is unfortunate, and indeed very annoying, but unfortunately something that is part of the process that can’t be helped always. Apple doesn’t have any responsibility on this one as they detail it on the repair process paperwork. (I am trying to find a link but I can’t seem to find it without opening a repair ticket).

Reactions: Audit13

ldenning

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Yes, it's annoying that this happened. When I need to return equipment (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc.) that contains personal data, I backup and wipe before sending.
You’re certainly correct and I’ll be more careful next time!

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.