Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nath0rigin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I've been using automatic login on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). I work from home and nobody else is ever near my system. Thus, I've removed my Administrator Password (changed it to blank) and enabled Automatic Login. I don't use cloud services and have this disabled everywhere that's possible.

Now since 2 days I've been having extreme login issues that's keeping my from logging into my machine. Usually everything goes fine, I hit the power button, the OS loads and I'm greeted with a desktop.

But something extremely wrong has been going on. Recently, upon boot, I was prompted with a login screen and asked to fill in a password. Because I have no password set up, I expect to hit enter to get to the Desktop. Why the automatic login failed, I don't know.. but that's only a minor issue.

The big problem is, I can't login to my computer!

Turns out, by entering safe-mode, one can successfully log back in to the computer. I entered safe mode, immediately went to the Preferences pane to disable the automatic login and re-instate my administrator password. This should NOT happend. The worst experience one can have with a system is (unrightfully) not being able to log into the OS.

What i think is happening is the system is somehow refreshing parts of the old Preferences.plist file, disabling automatic login and asking for a non-existent password.

Again; This the THE worst user experience one can have with an OS. Never mind non-responsive trackpads/keyboards, problems people have with iCloud or WHATEVER. I should always be able to access my machine if I have the privileges.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
<<
I've been using automatic login on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). I work from home and nobody else is ever near my system. Thus, I've removed my Administrator Password (changed it to blank) and enabled Automatic Login. I don't use cloud services and have this disabled everywhere that's possible.

Now since 2 days I've been having extreme login issues that's keeping my from logging into my machine. Usually everything goes fine, I hit the power button, the OS loads and I'm greeted with a desktop.

But something extremely wrong has been going on. Recently, upon boot, I was prompted with a login screen and asked to fill in a password. Because I have no password set up, I expect to hit enter to get to the Desktop. Why the automatic login failed, I don't know.. but that's only a minor issue.

The big problem is, I can't login to my computer!

Turns out, by entering safe-mode, one can successfully log back in to the computer. I entered safe mode, immediately went to the Preferences pane to disable the automatic login and re-instate my administrator password. This should NOT happend. The worst experience one can have with a system is (unrightfully) not being able to log into the OS.

What i think is happening is the system is somehow refreshing parts of the old Preferences.plist file, disabling automatic login and asking for a non-existent password.

Again; This the THE worst user experience one can have with an OS. Never mind non-responsive trackpads/keyboards, problems people have with iCloud or WHATEVER. I should always be able to access my machine if I have the privileges.
Why don't you enable auto login even with a password? It works the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.