Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Due to life circumstances, my Mini server has been packed up for the last 18 months, so I am just now reinstating my Mini. It was running 10.10 (Yosemite), but I am in the process of updating the OS and server version. I have been using the Server primarily for TM backup, File Caching, File Sharing, FTP, Printer Sharing, and iTunes Sharing. I had thoughts of running a Wiki but in light of the recent deprecation of Server, this is being shelved.

I currently support the Mini (still using HDDs), a MBA on 10.11, three iPhones on iOS 10 (2 x 5s, 1 x SE), and one iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10. I usually upgrade at the end of the OS update cycle because I do not like dealing with bugs, so I have no desire to run High Sierra until it is more refined (unless I am mistaken). In the meantime, I would like to install Server until I can ensure a smooth transition to High Sierra.

So my question is which version of macOS--10.11 or 10.12--is better for running Server in the short term? Or should I just (gulp) jump into High Sierra?

Geeky Chimp

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
Definitely don’t touch High Sierra as a server; it removes so much.
We are running a fair number of Sierra Servers and will be for a fair while.
Sierra Server, for all intents and purposes is the ‘new’ Snow Leopard Server.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Agreed.

Running 10.12 (Server 5.3.1), and it has been good: OD, File sharing, Netboot, Time Machine...as well as PaperCut (print server) and DeployStudio (imaging).

No reason to update....considering the substantial changes and removals in 10.13.

At some point we all will have to move forward or switch gears, but for now it makes sense to run 10.12 as long as possible.

Reactions: DJLC and Val-kyrie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.