Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lm08792

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Hey guys,

So recently I started getting the service battery warning on my 13" macbook pro from 2015. It's 2 years old, and its battery health is between 75% and 78%, as it fluctuates. It's also at 606 cycles. I turned the laptop off and the battery now says normal, but it's still at 78% health, which I don't think is great. I've noticed that using my laptop to charge my iphone and my two pairs of bluetooth headphones actually fried all 3 devices, causing them to hold barely any charge, and I had to replace them all. So I feel like there is something very wrong with my laptop, but now it is saying the battery is operating normally. It does seem to be holding charge for slightly less time than before, but the difference isn't very noticeable, so it's hard to tell.

Would a problem with my macbook battery fry all my other technology like that, or is there something going on with my laptop's hardware beyond just the battery? I bought a new charger, but that hasn't been helping. The only issue I can think of is that I accidentally got some bug spray on my laptop a few weeks ago, and also in the outlets I was using to charge it. Kind of unrelated, but would my wall outlets be fried to, as a result of this? Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF you're not far from a brick-n-mortar Apple Store, take it in RIGHT AWAY and let them evaluate it...

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
While I imagine some underlying hardware problem could potentially explain why you are having both issues (even if unlikely), the battery itself should not have an effect on USB devices. So the problems could be related, but the battery itself wearing should not be the direct underlying cause of this issue. It is also possible that this is just a coincidence, even though with 3 devices that seems less likely. To my understanding, OEM Apple Lightning and MFI-certified Lightning cables have overvoltage protection built into them.

When you take it to an AASP, request that they check the voltage on the USB port that may have issues. Be sure to take the charger as well so they can measure input voltage.

Just to verify, were you using an OEM Apple-made MagSafe charger and an Apple-made or MFI-certified Lightning cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.