Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Hi Guys,

Just now my MBP 13 (mid-2012) is telling me to "service battery"

I read on Apple Support that this means I need to have an Apple Store or service center look at the computer and potentially replace the battery? I downloaded coconut battery and it is saying:

Maximum charge is 4387mah
Design capacity is 5770mah

1. So if I am doing this correctly... 4387/5770=76% capacity which would explain why I am getting this notification, correct?

2. If I take this to an Apple Store what is the solution? The Apple Store is about an hour and 10 minutes from me so I don't want to go down and have them just tell me it is fine and nothing needs to be done.

3. I have AppleCare coverage on this machine until August 2016 (just checked on their website). Would this cover the battery replacement if that is the solution?

Thanks!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If you still have AppleCare it should be covered if you haven't exceeded the number of cycles that Apple specifies (I think it's 1000).

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Can you post a screenshot of the Coconut battery info?

I actually scheduled the Genius Bar appointment and never took a screenshot of what Coconut Battery said...I believe it said 75.5% capacity.

The Genius ran some special tool they have in the store and my battery was around 76% so that was pretty damn close. They replaced the battery at no charge because they cover the battery if it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles...mine has like 348 cycles on it.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
They replaced the battery at no charge because they cover the battery if it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles...mine has like 348 cycles on it.
This is interesting. Can it be seen documented somewhere? I could also claim the battery failure if that statement was true.
PS Incidentally, the treshold for "service battery" message is at 80%

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
This is interesting. Can it be seen documented somewhere? I could also claim the battery failure if that statement was true.

It is on the apple website I don't think it's enshrined in law or anything and you need AppleCare to be covered after the first year and it doesn't apply outside the warranty.

So if you have AppleCare you are covered for three years if you don't then you've only got a year you may be able to get it on your countries consumer law though.

callea

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Italy
I actually scheduled the Genius Bar appointment and never took a screenshot of what Coconut Battery said...I believe it said 75.5% capacity.

The Genius ran some special tool they have in the store and my battery was around 76% so that was pretty damn close. They replaced the battery at no charge because they cover the battery if it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles...mine has like 348 cycles on it.

How long did the service take?
Did they replace the top case or just replace the battery?

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013

Here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/
[doublepost=1456842569][/doublepost]
How long did the service take?
Did they replace the top case or just replace the battery?

Just the battery. The battery on the MBP 13'' (mid-2012) does not have the battery glued down and either way I don't think Apple ever replaces the top case unless the top case itself requires a replacement.

It took about an hour and 15 minutes. The battery replacement doesn't take long, its all the testing they run after they replace it to make sure everything is in working order that takes time apparently.
[doublepost=1456842661][/doublepost]
It is on the apple website I don't think it's enshrined in law or anything and you need AppleCare to be covered after the first year and it doesn't apply outside the warranty.

So if you have AppleCare you are covered for three years if you don't then you've only got a year you may be able to get it on your countries consumer law though.

Yes, in the US they only cover the battery for one year, or an additional 3 years with AppleCare coverage, which has to be purchased with or very shortly after buying the Mac.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just the battery. The battery on the MBP 13'' (mid-2012) does not have the battery glued down and either way I don't think Apple ever replaces the top case unless the top case itself requires a replacement.

On the non-Retina, correct. If it's a Retina, the battery is glued into the topcase so if the battery, trackpad or keyboard needs replacement the topcase gets replaced.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
AppleCare can be purchased at any time during the first year.

https://www.apple.com/asia/support/products/faqs.html

Thank you for the correction! :)
[doublepost=1456895764][/doublepost]
On the non-Retina, correct. If it's a Retina, the battery is glued into the topcase so if the battery, trackpad or keyboard needs replacement the topcase gets replaced.

Interesting! I knew they were glued, but didn't know Apple just didn't peal them out of there to replace them. I guess that is a good deal then honestly.

Reactions: T5BRICK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.