Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avilolo0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
so i have a macbook pro 13 inch i7 3.1 gh,256 ssd,16 gb ram

a very expensive spec.

4 month ago when the computer is something like 10 month in use started to show kernel panics and the computer cant be on for more than 3-5 min. i take it to the store and they send the computer to the lab after something like a week i got a phone call that my computer needed to replaced the logic board. ok so i pick up my mac and its work great for 4 month,right now the same problem its come back after 4 month another logic board need to be replaced because of a kernel panics that the computer again cant work.
after this happen again i talk to apple about replacing this computer cuas if after 4 month the logic board needed too replace and the technical guy from the lab told me that he dont have anything to do beside replace the logic board again and say me on the phone that the problem can be in any of the hardware component and he doesn't have a way to know what component it is.
in apple chat they told me they can not take responsibility for cases like this( them logic board only can last 4 month) and they will not replaced it and will not take responsibility for this computer in the future cause they know there is something wrong with it.i have no idea who can i talk too but this big firm that so proud about the service they gave its just a real shame im feel like i bought a Chinese computer in $300 dollars not this expensive macbook pro.
so apple just now loose a great client that have 5 iphones at home and already had 2 macbooks cause this kind of service is not what you expect from this company.
if anyone have similar stories or maybe a solution ill be happy to hear that.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The post is a little difficult for me to follow, maybe I need a bit more coffee. Your Mac had a hardware failure, so Apple fixed it free of charge under warranty. The same component failed 4 months later, so they're fixing it again under warranty without any cost.

Am I right in saying that?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
so i have a macbook pro 13 inch i7 3.1 gh,256 ssd,16 gb ram

a very expensive spec.

4 month ago when the computer is something like 10 month in use started to show kernel panics and the computer cant be on for more than 3-5 min. i take it to the store and they send the computer to the lab after something like a week i got a phone call that my computer needed to replaced the logic board. ok so i pick up my mac and its work great for 4 month,right now the same problem its come back after 4 month another logic board need to be replaced because of a kernel panics that the computer again cant work.
after this happen again i talk to apple about replacing this computer cuas if after 4 month the logic board needed too replace and the technical guy from the lab told me that he dont have anything to do beside replace the logic board again and say me on the phone that the problem can be in any of the hardware component and he doesn't have a way to know what component it is.
in apple chat they told me they can not take responsibility for cases like this( them logic board only can last 4 month) and they will not replaced it and will not take responsibility for this computer in the future cause they know there is something wrong with it.i have no idea who can i talk too but this big firm that so proud about the service they gave its just a real shame im feel like i bought a Chinese computer in $300 dollars not this expensive macbook pro.
so apple just now loose a great client that have 5 iphones at home and already had 2 macbooks cause this kind of service is not what you expect from this company.
if anyone have similar stories or maybe a solution ill be happy to hear that.

If you have the same problem again they may well replace it. There is an unofficial thing where they often replace a machine if it has the same fault 3 times.

However they don't have to do that, they promise to fix it under apple care warranty for 3 years and that is all they have to do keep fixing it until the warranty runs out, that is their warranty conditions and they are following them. They are the conditions you signed up to when you bought the computer, if you want a replacement warranty then you'll have to get one somewhere else.

avilolo0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
If you have the same problem again they may well replace it. There is an unofficial thing where they often replace a machine if it has the same fault 3 times.

However they don't have to do that, they promise to fix it under apple care warranty for 3 years and that is all they have to do keep fixing it until the warranty runs out, that is their warranty conditions and they are following them. They are the conditions you signed up to when you bought the computer, if you want a replacement warranty then you'll have to get one somewhere else.

this is really bad news,the problem is that i doesnt have an apple care so at the next time its will happen ill be on my own.
im getting crazy from this subject that 4 month ago they did the same thing and they are now try the same solution

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
this is really bad news,the problem is that i doesnt have an apple care so at the next time its will happen ill be on my own.
im getting crazy from this subject that 4 month ago they did the same thing and they are now try the same solution

That's the risk with any electronics and with not buying an extended warranty, they can and do fail at any time for any number of reasons.
Applecare was available right up until the end of your first year you could have bought it when it went down the first time, for your peace of mind.

If you are in Europe you can claim on standard customer protection laws for them to fix it for inherent defects for the first two years and in the UK this rises to 5 years (6 in England). It may be looking into whatever local consumer protection laws and statuatory rights you have where you live.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
1) is this a 2016 MBP? I would assume so, but didn't see you mention the year.

2) Do you have any external devices that could be causing these issues. I have a Thunderbolt Display that is completed messed up (5 years old) and constantly disconnects and causes my new MBP kernel panics and shutdowns. (Don't like any of the TB3 displays currently on the market enough to buy a new screen).

3) If you are having the same issue with the logic board, then I would recommend emailing Apple support. Explain the situation and that you cannot afford to keep bringing in your $3k laptop every few months for repairs. Be polite and understanding, and say you would like to check the possibility of getting a new replacement laptop. This may work better than going to the store.

4) As long as you are still within the first year warranty period, you can purchase AppleCare. AppleCare for my Macs is one of the very few extended warranties I purchase. I feel it is worth it as you never know what will happen to a computer over three years. Some of my Macs I have used it, others I haven't. (probably paid more to Apple than what repairs would have cost, but oh well).

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
So, in other words, it's a waste of money?
I always buy AppleCare on computers and iPads. I get insurance on my phone through my carrier.

I buy AppleCare because with my first ever computer given to me by my mother, she purchased an extended warranty. It was not an Apple product, but the warranty saved my soul. The logic board in the computer fried and it was sent off for repairs, all covered under the warranty. It would have been expensive to fix out if pocket. After that incident, I believe in coverage. Anything can happen.

Worth it for peace of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.