Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Hello!

I work in a computer lab with 11 new 2017 iMac 5ks, running High Sierra (10.13.6). We recently transitioned to wired apple mice and am having trouble setting the scrolling speed and mouse button functions, globally, across all users (new and old). One reason this might be is that after 12 hours the user accounts are deleted (sans the admin account that is used.)

Is there a way that I can permanently set the default mouse tracking speed and enable right click functionality on the wired apple mouse, so that if a student logs into the computer for the first time for the day, that those correct settings are automatically pulled, day after day, even if their account gets deleted?

I hope this makes sense. Right now, every day, I have to reset the mouse tracking speed and enable the right click button on the mouse.

I see in terminal under defaults read, that the right click functionality of the mouse is activated at the following:

"com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse" = {

Button1 = 1;

Button2 = 2;

Button3 = 0;

Button4 = 0;

Button4Click = 0;

Button4Force = 0;

ButtonDominance = 1;

ScrollH = 1;

ScrollS = 4;

ScrollSSize = 30;

ScrollV = 1;

The default value for button2 is = 1;

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
That is like asking everyone to eat the pasta Alfredo only.
I did what you did in 1996 for 3 weeks and was just happy the mice worked at all!
That might work but really not the effort, just have the next user reset what Brenda set previously.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Looks like the following terminal defaults read command line sets the tracking speed:
"com.apple.mouse.scaling" = 3;

Range settings for scaling:
[doublepost=1532118365][/doublepost]
That is like asking everyone to eat the pasta Alfredo only.
I did what you did in 1996 for 3 weeks and was just happy the mice worked at all!
That might work but really not the effort, just have the next user reset what Brenda set previously.

I don't care too much for the tracking speed, so long as it's not the slowest setting.

But the more annoying part would be that every single day the right click functionality of the mouse would reset to not be there on each computer. People don't expect the mouse to not right click like most mice since inception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.