Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you set up a new device?

• Set up as new

• Restore from iCloud

Results are only viewable after voting.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
On the eve of the next iPhone, I want to pose an age-old question.

When you get a new iDevice, do you restore from an iCloud backup or set up as a new iPhone?

I used to prefer setting up as a new iPhone. Many of my apps and services are cloud-based, so simply signing into a few things bring down my important data anyway. I used to think of iDevices like Macs or PCs — duplicating an old computer will bring with it the clutter and sludge of an old, slow computer.

Recently, my iPhone 5s broke and I decided to temporarily use an iPhone 5 until the 7 is released. I did a quick restore from iCloud to save some time and everything seems to be working beautifully.

Do you see any downsides to using the Restore from iCloud feature?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Always restore. Plenty of my data are not cloud based and thus impossible to be restored by just signing in.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
On the eve of the next iPhone, I want to pose an age-old question.

When you get a new iDevice, do you restore from an iCloud backup or set up as a new iPhone?

I used to prefer setting up as a new iPhone. Many of my apps and services are cloud-based, so simply signing into a few things bring down my important data anyway. I used to think of iDevices like Macs or PCs — duplicating an old computer will bring with it the clutter and sludge of an old, slow computer.

Recently, my iPhone 5s broke and I decided to temporarily use an iPhone 5 until the 7 is released. I did a quick restore from iCloud to save some time and everything seems to be working beautifully.

Do you see any downsides to using the Restore from iCloud feature?
There are many threads about this. If you'll do a forum search for "set up as new," there are many threads and replies that could prove helpful.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Always restore. I have too many running text messages that are almost classified as novels. Oh, and the 256 GB in the 7 will help too.

Last edited:

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Restore from backup. If I wanted to spend hours setting up my new phone, I'd be using android.

That's not meant to be a put down on android. I feel like iCloud backup is the most unsung awesome feature the iPhone offers. It's one of the few things that has brought me back each time I've tried an android device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.