Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm away from home and I've forgotten the manual to my 580EX II. I'd like to use it as a master unit, and use the 550 as a slave... I've never done this before, but the 550 has a little switch that turns it into a slave, and I can set a channel on it. But I have no idea how to do this with the 580EX II...
Can anyone help me, please? :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
never mind, I figured it out. But just for anyone who happens upon this thread, the solution is totally unintuitive. To set the 580EX II as a master or slave, hold the ZOOM button down for 2-3 seconds, and you'll see all the options come up. Make sure you set the channel to the same channel as your slave unit.

bawnewsong

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
is there supposed to be a delay when the 550 fires?

i have the 580ii ex set as "master" and the 550ex set as "slave"...when i test firing the 580ex there is about 1/4 second or so delay..in other words they are not firing at the same time. is that how it works or am i doing something wrong?

France

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
@seenew - So there I was on a shoot...

...Trying to remember how to set my 580EX II to the Master flash setting(yes, totally unintuitive!). I knew there was a trick to it but for the life me couldn't recall what it was. Pulled out my iPhone and did a Google search and was so happy to find your post about the very same thing. Thanks so much for posting the answer to your original query, saved my butt and my shoot!
Hoping good karma comes back your way!
Best,
-France ;)

never mind, I figured it out. But just for anyone who happens upon this thread, the solution is totally unintuitive. To set the 580EX II as a master or slave, hold the ZOOM button down for 2-3 seconds, and you'll see all the options come up. Make sure you set the channel to the same channel as your slave unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.