Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Hello.
I am a photographer with about 9TB of photos, which i backup to Amazon Drive using Arq Backup software. It been great up until now, as Amazon has changed their pricing structure. Is there a way that a smart idiot like myself can create my own offsite backup server? Would i have to have a static ip / business internet account to do this? Is it worth it, to avoid paying Amazon $600/year?

Thanks!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
For the average Joe...purchasing the gear, configuring something and maintaining it throughout OS upgrades is a bit daunting. Amazon is backing up their backup of your backups, so to speak, and you'll have a hard time matching the functionality and reliability.

Compare what Amazon or any other such cloud backup provider does to you yourself having a pair of backup NAS or similar devices, one at home and one in the office, that you swap out every week or so. I'm thinking you'd have to spend a minimum of $1000 for a pair of external devices big enough to handle 12TB each.

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
For the average Joe...purchasing the gear, configuring something and maintaining it throughout OS upgrades is a bit daunting. Amazon is backing up their backup of your backups, so to speak, and you'll have a hard time matching the functionality and reliability.

Compare what Amazon or any other such cloud backup provider does to you yourself having a pair of backup NAS or similar devices, one at home and one in the office, that you swap out every week or so. I'm thinking you'd have to spend a minimum of $1000 for a pair of external devices big enough to handle 12TB each.

Thanks Brian. I already own all the stuff, i'm just not sure if i'm technically capable. I'm a savvy computer person, but no i.t. pro.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I'd recommend what Brian suggested, or some variant thereof. Never underestimate the power of SneakerNet offsite backups. That's how I've handled my own offsite backups for years. Much easier than setting up your own cloud server, although at the cost of being slower to recover (you have to physically retrieve your backup if needed). While that's an unacceptable side-effect for 24x7 always-up services, it doesn't sound like you're in that situation.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks Brian. I already own all the stuff, i'm just not sure if i'm technically capable. I'm a savvy computer person, but no i.t. pro.

I'd say I'm technically capable but I wouldn't want to do it. The equipment and software are constantly changing and there's too much that can go wrong.

Two backup devices, regular swaps and something like Carbon Copy Cloner for the backups would be very easy. You could store new and modified files in a cloud backup folder between swaps.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you go to cloud backup, it would advisable for you to keep and maintain PHYSICAL backups as well, under your possession and control.
But I'll guess you're probably doing this already.

In other words, don't put "all your faith" into "the cloud".
Others have done so, and have found themselves very let down...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.