Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Can anyone point me to some information in regard to the process of standing up an OSX Update Server on a private network not connected to the Internet?

I have one server connected to the internet that I plan to utilize to pull updates down from Apple. However, at that point I need to copy the files/updates to our disconnected network and ingest within another MAC that will have all the OSX Clients on the network point to it to obtain updates.

I need to set this up in a very similar way we do with Linux, Solaris and Windoze. Which is a cake-walk, sync the repositories, copy to hard-drive, transfer to other network and copy to server, and perform some commands and away I go.

However, I haven't been able to find much information in regard to this and OSX. I have read about Caching Update servers and Cascade Update Servers, but they don't quite cover the full process.

Does anyone have any pointers on this? I would think it has to be possible. If nothing else to create the caching server on the internet connected server and just copy the directory structure up to the other server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.