Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
In another thread I've asked about buying used Apple equipment. Here I'd like to ask whether or not such a setup would have any problem running Aperture and CS2 (which is what I currently run).

At the moment, I'm using this two applications on the iMac in my sig. I need more horsepower...especially for Aperture which just chokes sometimes.

I cannot afford a new MacPro. So, I was thinking of buying a Power Mac G5. Preferably something with more than one core, and more than 2 GB of RAM. If I bought something like a dual 2.0 GHz machine with 2+ GB of RAM, would this keep Aperture from choking? Given my current setup, do you think that the RAM is the issue...or is it processor and graphics card and all of that?

Any thoughts welcome...thanks!

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
It's interesting, I've been running Aperture on my MBP (C2D, 2.33, 2 GB RAM) and on my PowerMac at work (Dual 2.5, 5GB RAM, X800 XT, Drives running in RAID 0). For some odd reason, Aperture just seems snappier on my laptop. The only thing I can think of is the speed of the processors, and the speed of the RAM. If I were you, I'd probably upgrade my laptop- the G5 iMac still has life in it.

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
i'm running Aperture on my c2d macbook 2ghz 2gig memory just fine. =) barely lags =)

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
It's interesting, I've been running Aperture on my MBP (C2D, 2.33, 2 GB RAM) and on my PowerMac at work (Dual 2.5, 5GB RAM, X800 XT, Drives running in RAID 0). For some odd reason, Aperture just seems snappier on my laptop. The only thing I can think of is the speed of the processors, and the speed of the RAM. If I were you, I'd probably upgrade my laptop- the G5 iMac still has life in it.

Not a bad idea. Although, the iBook is used only for email, browsing, word processing, etc. I'm not doing anything processor intensive whatsoever. Also, I'm up for a job that would probably have an MacBook or MacBook Pro attached to it. SO, I don't want to spend my money there.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.