Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
So, I had nothing better to do than to take a photo of my son, which i thought was pretty sharp for non-macro and hand held, and apply the "CSI" trick (zooming in on the eye to see what is reflected...) by jut enhancing the eye. The result is actually quite ok, in terms of what you get out of it. You can clearly see a distorted face (my wife), the window and the fact that its dusk or dawn, a tree and me with a flash :)

Now, I understand that the photo in itself is nothing fancy and not macro type sharp but for the lens used and hand held, I think the results are quite passable.
The list goes:
full photo (resized, obviously) 12mpixel, RAW
100% crop of the eye
200% crop of the eye
400% crop of the eye
700% crop of the eye
No photoshop sharpen filters were used

Anyone else got such an effect? For those interested, shot with a D90 and 50mm f1.8@f3.5, ISO 200

Attachments

• sharp1.jpg
    sharp1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 114
  • sharp2.jpg
    sharp2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 89
  • sharp3.jpg
    sharp3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 74
  • sharp4.jpg
    sharp4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 81
  • sharp5.jpg
    sharp5.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 95

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
yup, I bet many photogs know what you have shown, thanks for sharing nway. Also if you were to use a FF in the future (D700 or D3 or D3x for your case), it will be even more detailed and will make ur eyes bleed :p

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
ok..

<runs out to buy a D700>:p

well I am saving for one anyway..
BUT I think my main point was that its quite a nice way to see if your lens is sharp and if your focus worked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.