Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strongPanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Hey,
I have been using shellrus sapphire screnn protector for my iPhone 12 pro for the past 2 years.
First month of using it, it had a small crack. Contacted customer services they gave me 65% copoun code for the next screen protector. bought another screen protector to put it on my iPhone. It was also cracked. the screen is very scratch proof. but it is very fragile. so the 80$ price tag is not worth it.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Hey,
I have been using shellrus sapphire screnn protector for my iPhone 12 pro for the past 2 years.
First month of using it, it had a small crack. Contacted customer services they gave me 65% copoun code for the next screen protector. bought another screen protector to put it on my iPhone. It was also cracked. the screen is very scratch proof. but it is very fragile. so the 80$ price tag is not worth it.

I had the same experience last year when I tried the Shelltus with my 13 Pro. It cracked within two weeks from a very light bump. I didn’t bother with a second one and just went back to no screen protector.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Fully agree. Also the installation process is awful and you can easily screw up the application. For the price, this is just a bad idea all around. Cracks way too easily. Unless you have a case that has a lip that will protect the screen protector, as soon as you drop it it’ll become as useless as a $1 Amazon screen protector. The cool to touch is over sold.

happybutnot

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
I did some reason on the sapphire screen protector and found that given the price, I could get 10 normal ones and sometimes more if I use the warranty on them

Reactions: strongPanda

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
That’s the problem in general with displays that a lot of folks don’t understand. Sapphire is more brittle but has better scratch resistance than glass. Glass is more “flexible” but has worse scratch resistance. That’s why there’s a lot coatings or hybrid materials similarly to what Apple and Corning use.

Everyone wants it all and for cheap but the manufacturer isn’t there yet.

Reactions: strongPanda

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Glass screen protectors are great if you never drop your phone but not everyone can manage that.

Myself, I use anti-glare film screen protectors because I hate fingerprints and scratches. My 13 Pro screen looked like it was mauled by a panther.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
One year in almost and my Shellrus is still perfect with no scratches. Just placed my pre order for the 15 pro max Shellrus protector.

Reactions: ecthomp

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
One year in almost and my Shellrus is still perfect with no scratches. Just placed my pre order for the 15 pro max Shellrus protector.
you must be using a case. I dont use cases, could never have it last that long. Had one for the 12 pro max and 13 pro max, both cracked. Also its $127 USD shipped to canada, not worth it. The belkin screen protector from apple is good, but im actually considering going with no screen protector. I get apple care always and its only $29+tax to replace the front screen. That to me seems like a great deal, once it gets scratched up a bit, replace it. Apple store is down the street from me.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
you must be using a case. I dont use cases, could never have it last that long. Had one for the 12 pro max and 13 pro max, both cracked. Also it’s $127 USD shipped to canada, not worth it. The belkin screen protector from apple is good, but im actually considering going with no screen protector. I get apple care always and it’s only $29+tax to replace the front screen. That to me seems like a great deal, once it gets scratched up a bit, replace it. Apple store is down the street from me.
Caseless with Apple care is the way to go. Hell, even caseless with no warranty is the way to go if you’re not a clumsy user.

Plus, even the clearest screen protector will take away from the screen’s color, sharpness and vibrance and it’ll be a bit more reflective. There’s no way around it.

Nothing like the bare screen imo and the micro scratches will be normal but you’ll never see them unless you start getting deeper scratches and gouges which isn’t that common if you take care of your stuff!

Reactions: haqsha23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.