Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
So, I have decided to make the switch to RAW. I walked outside my apartment. Set my white ballence on my Cannon 30D, and shot random things.
I then came back inside, connected my cannon 30D to my mac pro via usb. I opened dragged the photos from my 30D onto my comptuer via iPhoto. THE PHOTOS WERE STILL JPG FORMAT! Why is this? Please help!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Did you drag the photos from the icon generated by the camera when it is attached, or did you let iPhoto import the files? Try telling iPhoto Preferences to Connecting Camera Opens: iPhoto and see if that helps. I have been told that using a card reader is better than connecting the camera directly. I ran a thread asking that question, and the majority answer was to use a reader.

And, of coarse, be sure your camera is set to RAW, and not RAW+jpeg

iPhoto does odd things randomly for me. On several occasions it had duplicated all of the files from the card. Once with nnnn_1 for the duplicate and once with matching file numbers. No _1.

Dale

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
So, I have decided to make the switch to RAW. I walked outside my apartment. Set my white ballence on my Cannon 30D, and shot random things.

bit off topic but isn't setting white balance not needed in raw cause it just stores data? is it just for convenience to see the image on screen better?

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
iPhoto doesn't recognize the RAW file format. You must have shot RAW+JPEG You will need Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop to be able to edit RAW photos.

Good luck...

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
iPhoto doesn't recognize the RAW file format. You must have shot RAW+JPEG You will need Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop to be able to edit RAW photos.

Good luck...

iPhoto DOES recognize the raw format of a 30D. So I guess you used raw&jpg.

Attachments

• raw.png
    raw.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 219

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. I have checked multiple times. I have the quality setting to the very last box in the menu (RAW) not RAW+L-m-S or nay of that. its set to the very last setting that just says (RAW). And I know I have to use photoshop to edit them I am very fluent in PS (just new to RAW). And I do not have a card reader any more but it looks like I may need to pick one up.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Issue Resolved

I have figured out the issue. It seems that when you open iPhone --> Select your camera --> import photos into a iPhoto library it makes them a jpg.

I have went into iPhoto preferences, and changed the way my mac pro opens photos and I switched it from iPhoto to Image Capture. Within image capture it gave me all the .CR2 files. Thank You!

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
It should still work in iPhoto (at least 09). My wife uses it to store her RAW photos, and they are definitely RAW rather than JPG. How did you determine which you were seeing in iPhoto?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I stand corrected... Thank you.

It did NOT recognize my Panasonic G1 RAW2 format however. I bought Lightroom. Problem solved.

For Mac OS X uses a system-wide RAW converter for the Apple applications. iPhoto, Aperture, Preview, whatever all use the same converter. Chances are the Panasonic G1 simply hadn't been added to the converter at that stage. iPhoto is fully capable of editing RAWs, nearly identically to Aperture, just without a lot of extra tools.

Lightroom uses its own, so it probably DID have the converter.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I have figured out the issue. It seems that when you open iPhone --> Select your camera --> import photos into a iPhoto library it makes them a jpg.

I have went into iPhoto preferences, and changed the way my mac pro opens photos and I switched it from iPhoto to Image Capture. Within image capture it gave me all the .CR2 files. Thank You!

It shouldn't. It may make a JPEG for viewing (and keep it in the modified folder), but it should also import the RAW and use that for editing.

iPhoto actually uses image capture (or at least its settings) to import images. iPhoto is fully capable of importing RAW files.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
What I think happend is when i imported them into iPhoto and I just dragged the photos onto my desktop it made copies of jpg images and thats what it put on my desktop. Thanks for all your support, but the issue is resloved :)

I <3 RAW!

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
What I think happend is when i imported them into iPhoto and I just dragged the photos onto my desktop it made copies of jpg images and thats what it put on my desktop. Thanks for all your support, but the issue is resloved :)

I <3 RAW!

In future, you should be able to directly import RAW files into iPhoto straight from camera.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Well 1 more question. Does anyone know of a good card reader that just fits my card.. and isn't a multi-card reader thats huge?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It shouldn't. It may make a JPEG for viewing (and keep it in the modified folder), but it should also import the RAW and use that for editing.

iPhoto actually uses image capture (or at least its settings) to import images. iPhoto is fully capable of importing RAW files.

+1 I looked in my Modified folder and all the files are jpeg. The Originals folder is all .CR2.

iPhoto can store RAW but not edit or display it, so it makes a jpeg copy for working purposes.

Dale

EDIT: If it's an SD card, I use a $20 Hoodman RAW reader. It's about the size of a small flash drive.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
+1 I looked in my Modified folder and all the files are jpeg. The Originals folder is all .CR2.

iPhoto can store RAW but not edit or display it, so it makes a jpeg copy for working purposes.

Dale

EDIT: If it's an SD card, I use a $20 Hoodman RAW reader. It's about the size of a small flash drive.

Actually, yes it can edit and display it.

If you "reprocess from RAW" (right click) it will remake that JPEG.

And if you ever edit in iPhoto, you'll notice that the options you have to edit are different than when editing a JPEG. YOu'll notice a proper whitebalance control, and you'll get more latitude in editing exposure.

It needs the JPEG, as other apps that integrate with iPhoto will need that JPEG (i.e. Desktop display, Mail, etc). It will use that JPEG to display also, but if you ever choose to 'edit' it will actually load up the RAW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.