Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Just wondering, does anyone know why when I'm shooting in RAW on my Rebel XT, that when I load the shots into my computer, probably 1/5 turn out to be .jpg? They're the highest-quality jpg files, but still... what gives?

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
If your Rebel is anything like the 20D, you probably took those shots in full-auto or some other basic setting. Images captured under basic settings don't get saved as RAW files even if you have RAW format selected. The images will default to the highest quality jpegs.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Do they show up as jpgs when you pull them into photoshop from iphoto, instead of bringing up the raw conversion dialogue? I had that problem with iphoto and grew sick of it quickly. Not sure why it does that.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Orlando Furioso said:
If your Rebel is anything like the 20D, you probably took those shots in full-auto or some other basic setting. Images captured under basic settings don't get saved as RAW files even if you have RAW format selected. The images will default to the highest quality jpegs.

No, it's when I'm shooting shutter or aperture or full manual..

And they some show up RAW in iPhoto, but others are jpgs (to FrankieTDouglas)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Are the ones shot portrait orientation going to jpgs?

I had an issue with my Xt doing that, but I don't shoot RAW enough to worry about it.

Maybe turn off auto rotate or something? I'm guessing here.....

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Mike Teezie said:
Are the ones shot portrait orientation going to jpgs?

I had an issue with my Xt doing that, but I don't shoot RAW enough to worry about it.

Maybe turn off auto rotate or something? I'm guessing here.....

That's it!

Weird... why does it do that?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Alright, got it in one. I wonder if the same thing happens with Aperture.

Did turning off auto rotate fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.